Wednesday, 25 November 2009

Check

So far so good this week. I’ve swum twice and got in a slow and steady three miler yesterday morning. Sweet!

The swimming is definitely improving which is making me very happy. Swimming was on my to-do list for ages. You know those items you always hope to tick off, but don’t because you don’t have enough money, aren’t thin enough, aren’t brave enough, etc. Well, screw that shit. I’m sick of waiting. I figure about a third of my life is over, so I better make the most of what I have left. I hope when I’m in my sixties and seventies I’m one of those scary broads who can outswim, outrun, outfun pretty much everyone and don’t give a rat’s ass that the elasticity in my skin is shot and my hooters are better acquainted with my knees than my torso.

Speaking of ticking items off the to-do list....I’ve always wanted to run in a turkey trot, but haven’t been able to since I live in England and they don’t do those here for obvious reasons. Well, to hell with that. Tomorrow morning I’m heading out for a 5k run—Xenia’s own one-woman Turkey Trot 5k. Take that, colonial oppressors!

However because of work deadlines, I can’t take time off to celebrate Thanksgiving properly so all you lucky bastard Americans need to eat for me tomorrow. Particularly pie. Please eat a slice of pie for your homegirl. It’s all I ask. I know it’s a hardship, but try to take one for the team, okay.

And in case any of you were still wondering, my bike does indeed have a name now.

Meet Aeolus.

Big thanks to Mike at Running is Funny for naming my wheels. Aeolus is the perfect combination of Greek mythology and puerile humor (heh, he said wind) which totally fits both my bike and myself. I tip my hat to you, sir. In fact, if you so desire, I’ll even send you a Popener as a proper thank you. If you don’t want it, then you can choose another recipient from amongst all the irate commenters who will be sure to vent their rage. It’s up to you.

Since most of you will be in a tryptophan coma soon, this will be my last post for the week. Enjoy the holiday, my fellow Americans. To my Canadian friends, have a great rest of the week. Catch you guys again on Monday.

Later gators.

16 comments:

Razz said...

So close to organizing a virtual Turkey Trot 5K this year. SO close!

I'll have a piece of pie and a bottle of my favorite beer and think of ya! (opened with my favorite opener of course)

GeorgiaSnail said...

Happy Turkey Day...

I hope you are able to put together a solid performance and place in your AG at "your" Turky Trot!

Lily on the Road said...

Hope you have a Thanksgiving Celebration of some sort over there in the land of fog & drizzle

and hey, were you talking about me? 'cuz I really don't give a rats ass either! LOL

Love the new bikey's name, how fitting!

Jess said...

I will most certainly eat your share of pie!

Mike Antonucci said...

Odysseue was a man who was never at a loss, but I am! Wow! And a Popener to boot!

This is much better than coming home after a 20-year absence and finding your dog lying on a dung heap, who then greets you and dies.

Thanks!

Mike Antonucci said...

That's Odysseus. I'm so excited I can't even type.

MCM Mama said...

LOL at the name.

Have a great Turkey Trot tomorrow! ;o)

"The" Merry said...

Hey, I'll do the turkey trot with you! Synchronized running on opposite sides of the globe.

Tip: if doing a t.t. in the u.k., don't actually dress up like a turkey. Some of my fellow crazed t-day runners did that last year. It's very hard not to look like a complete dork when dressed up in a bird outfit.

Morgan said...

Eat a slice of pie for you? Check!

Good luck on your Turkey Trot 5k... something tells me you're going to win!!! :) LOL!

Viper said...

I'll eat a few pieces of pie. You can lay claim to one if you like. Happy Thanksgiving in exile. cheers!

"The" Merry said...

P.S. Have I mentioned lately that I am not only thankful for the gifts I have (e.g. a really cool popener) but also for the really cool blog friends out there? Not naming any names, but only because I don't want you to blush. At least not when I don't have a camera around to snap a candid shot.

Roisin said...

Someday...I will have a popener. I love the Pope! It's only right!

But yes, I will eat a piece of pie for you. And I'll drink a bottle of wine for you. You can thank me later. Maybe with a popener?

Congrats on the swimming too...I look like a tool when I swim.

Spike said...

sorry you can't have a real t-day over there, but at least you are a rockstar in the pool.

theloosemoose said...

Only because I happen to like you so darned much I consumed large slices of the following pies: pecan, chocolate and sweet potato. And today we will endure Feast #2, whereby the aforementioned pies will be revisited, along with a cranberry cheesecake.

You're welcome. Like I said, it's only 'cause I like you so much...though I've no idea WHY, as you've never even come close to giving me a Popener. Gawd!!!

PS - You know you have the power to lure Teh Glaven out of hiding, yes? I'm thinking pictures of you in the pool oughtta do the trick.

joyRuN said...

Ooohhh yeeaaaahhh. Pie consumed in your honor - check! If you want me to devour some Cheetos for you too, just lemme know.

carpeviam said...

Consumed for you: struesal pumpkin pie, apple pie (one with green apples, one with pink ladies), and kahlua cheescake.

You're welcome.