Friday, 13 November 2009

Period. Full stop.

[Editor’s note: Gentlemen, I’m going to be nice for once and warn you that this is a serious post about gross women’s stuff. Feel free to skip reading today. I won’t blame you in the least.]

I haven’t been motivated to do any running or exercising this week. The weather has been crap and my body just hasn’t been up for it. It’s that time of the month again for me, which I don’t like to use as an excuse for not exercising, but considering the little episode I had on Monday, I’m gonna let it slide this time.

Monday I woke up early and was getting ready to go to the gym for swim practice. I was in the bathroom when things went wonky. All of a sudden I got really dizzy and felt nauseous. My reproductive organs and lower intestines also decided to join in the fun and went haywire. I almost didn’t know which end to put on the toilet. I decided I’d much rather clean up my vomit than anything that would get ejected from the lower end so I sat down on the toilet and leaned over the rubbish bin just in case.

I took deep breaths and just kept hoping it would all pass quickly. I finally went #2, but it didn’t end there. The cramps continued and they were horrendous. It felt like my uterus was trying to eject itself from my body. For the first time ever I actually broke out into a cold sweat. I soaked my pj top and had tracks of liquid running down my face. Granted some of them could have been tears—I had no idea then or now.

When nothing more seemed to want to come out of my body, I went back to bed and laid down. But the nausea and cramps wouldn’t go away, so I had to go back to the bathroom and hunker down just in case. I did this three times. The only painkiller I had was ibuprofen and I didn’t want to take that on an empty stomach, so I had to wait it out. Finally when the nausea abated, I ate a small banana and took the ibuprofen. I filled the hot water bottle, put it against my lower abdomen and went back to bed.

I slipped in and out of sleep for the next hour and eventually the ibuprofen kicked in. All was better. To be on the safe side though, I decided to work from home that day. Except for being a little bit tired, the rest of the day passed without incident.

The whole thing was very strange. My body has never done that before. What’s also weird was that I was already on day two of my period. If crazy shit like that’s gonna happen, I would expect it more on the first day. I usually get the worst cramps a few days before and the first day of my period, but after that it’s minimal. This was definitely not my norm.

So I’ve spent the rest of the week being a lazy ass. No other incident has occurred but the concern is still there at the back of my mind. I haven’t run in almost two weeks and I feel like a bloated overstuffed cow. My cycle (and yes, it’s a long one as usual) is almost over and I’m looking forward to getting back out there. I’m just hoping that Monday was a fluke. Because if it happens again next month, I’m gonna have to see the GP. And I really don’t want to have to deal with that.

Have any of you ladies experienced anything like this before? Any clue as to what happened to me? All advice is welcome.

Sorry for the seriousness of today’s post. I’ll go back to being my bitchy sarcastic self next week. Promise.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Later gators.

14 comments:

joyRuN said...

Geez, woman! I had wicked uterine cramps when I had to #2 after I first got my IUD put in. As in hold on to the walls & try not to scream kinda cramps. But no nausea & as soon as I was done my business, no more cramps. And now I don't have issues anymore.

Do you have to see the GP or can you go to an OB/Gyn instead? It doesn't sound right for Aunt Flo to get so violent.

Good luck, girl.

Morgan said...

Yeah girl I'm going to have to agree with joyRun, that doesn't sound right at all!!!! Get yourself to the girly doc stat!

K said...

that happens to me every few months but usually on the first day... It is awful

Jamie said...

I don't always get the nausea but everything else you had happens every couple of months. It's the absolute worst feeling in the world. You may still want to get it checked out to make sure it's not a more serious issue!

MCM Mama said...

Pre-kids I used to have that happen sometimes. Not sure why. It was usually right before my cycle started though.

If it happens again, I'd definitely talk to a doctor.

Calyx Meredith said...

I had the exact same thing happen to me last month. Srsly. The exact same thing. Day two is usually the worst for me but I'd never had that level of GI insanity before. My doc had no explanation but said to come in for a bevy of tests if it happened again. I think it makes sense to give your system a few days to get past it - but a short run soon will probably help you feel all the way better. Take care!

Poundingthe(LA)Pavement said...

Damn girl. I had to 'de-lurk' when I read this post. I used to have this problem. It started slowly over a few months until I was taking 5-6 Advil just to get through the day. I finally went to the doc and was told I either had endometriosis or PID. Well, it endometriosis. Hopefully you just have normal 'girl problems' b/c endometriosis just SUCKS!!!!!

Theresa said...

Ugh. My sympathies!

I've heard that taking ibuprofen for a couple days before your period starts is supposed to help for a milder period. Also avoiding caffeine. Yeah, that's a tough one, but my periods are definitely easier when I'm not drinking caffeine.

Also, sometime when I was 32 or there abouts, my periods started changing for the worse, cramp wise and flow wise. Got it checked out. Nothing. Talked to my older sis, and something similar happened to her about that same age. So maybe check with your sis and mom if you haven't yet.

And yeah, look forward to the fun of the GP if it happens again.

Viper said...

Skipped. Have a good weekend. Cheers!

Jess said...

I've never had anything like that associated with a period (but now that it's been a year since I had one, they're kinda fuzzy in my memory)! Sure you didn't come down with a stomach virus? It sounds a lot like the crap I had two weeks ago.

"The" Merry said...

Been there, done that, got the heating pad.

A couple years ago, I did have a TBP (totally bad period) that came out of nowhere. However, the doc was fiddling around with the thyroid hormone levels at the time.

All I can do is offer tea and sympathy, and maybe a couple suggestions. After decades of CFH (oh come now. Cramps From Hell), I switched over to eating meat that only came from the health food store, i.e. no hormones or antibiotics of any kind. That cut the pain in half in a single month. The other tip would be to get your thyroid levels checked (not just the TSH level, but also any antibodies for auto-immune thyroid disorders).

Actually, forget tea and sympathy. When you're dealing with this sort of problem, tequila and sympathy is much more effective.

((heating pad))

carpeviam said...

I'm with JoyRuN. I had those symptoms when I first had my IUD inserted. It felt like I was birthing a small child, expect that I don't know what it's like to birth a small child, and thanks to the IUD, it'll be a LONG time before I really know what it's like to birth a small child.

But it F*ING HURT!

theloosemoose said...

Damned men, never having to deal with any of this shit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you just had a bug or something, because anything that different from your norm should probably be checked out ASAP. And you're probably pretty terrible about going to the doctor, huh? As in, you'd probably have to be half dead before you'd call for an appointment. I'm exactly the same way. But get your ass in there if it happens again next month, 'kay?

Sorry - I just reread this and I sound obnoxiously bossy, but I'm hitting "submit" anyway. :)

Lily on the Road said...

GET.CHECKED.

Please!!!

xoxoxo