Friday, 11 December 2009

Paging Dr. Diagnosis

I have no idea if anyone took me up on my suggestion of guessing when I’d injure myself during this training cycle, but if you said Week 2, then you’re right! Go get yourself a cookie to celebrate. Jackhole.

I don’t have time to fart around on the internet today in order to diagnose said injury, so I’m gonna pass the buck on to you fine folks and hope like hell someone hits on the right answer. Here’s the situation:

There’s an ache in my left arch and in the inside of my ankle. Actually the ache spread from the arch to include the ankle. How nice of it to share the fun. I felt the arch discomfort at the beginning of last week. Wasn’t much so I thought it was just a one off. Now however it is increasing and I’m on the cusp of limping a bit when I walk. It’s still just a dull ache though. No sharp pains or anything.

Here’s what I think probably caused the pain:

About four weeks ago, I got fed up with the second toe on my left foot always feeling crammed in my running shoe and perpetually having a black toenail if it had one at all. I realized my left insert was the culprit. It’s a custom designed insert I got from the running store here last March and it’s supposed to last me a year. There’s an extra heel bit just a few millimeters thick on the left heel only. Apparently my left arch is a bit worse than my right one. Anyhoo, the damn thing was always detaching itself from the rest of the insert and migrating, so I thought I’d try running without it once. I did and after a few minutes of adjustment for my body, all was well and the toe was spared further discomfort. Yay.

The inserts are pretty beat up already and probably at the end of their life and I’ve only been wearing one pair of running shoes these last four months and they’re getting ready to be retired too. I’ve been doing my feet a disservice, I know.

I will be adding the stupid heel piece back on to my insert, but then my toe is probably going to lose its nail again. I realize that’s the lesser of two evils, but it’s still a pain. I’ll deal though. When I go back to the states I’ll be getting a new pair of inserts anyway, so I just need this one to hold out a couple more weeks.

Now I need to know what exercises, stretches, etc I need to be doing to heal and strengthen the left foot. Any informed suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This of course does not bode overly well for my long run (just an eight miler) and the Santa run this weekend. Poopsicles. I’ve brought in a tennis ball to work today and am rolling my shoeless foot on it now in the hopes that this will somehow help. If for some reason this may make it worse, for the love of all that’s holy let me know as soon as possible. I’m an idiot when it comes to this sort of thing as has been made quite obvious from this post.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Later gators.

17 comments:

Keith said...

My diagnosis is that you aren't getting enough wild and crazy sex. More sex will help heal and strengthen your left foot. Especially if a trapeze and net are involved.

Have fun!

The Merry said...

I'm impressed with Keith's diagnosis. Though I think perhaps instead of the trapeze you might try lounging by the pool with pool boys feeding you grapes and massaging your toe/foot/leg until all the muscles and tendons melt into blissful relaxation.

Mike Antonucci said...

You can never have enough ice... and wild and crazy sex. But not at the same time.

RunnuRMark said...

It sure is tough to come up with any better medical advice than the fine recommendations that have already been made, but I'd say you can't really go wrong with the tennis ball. If it is a mild case of plantar fasciitis, the ball and ice are the way to go. Um, and rest is the universal prescription for whatever the injury may be. Well, that and the crazy sex, of course.

Razz said...

C'mon guys, she needs help.

Cut the damn thing off. Nothing invites more opportunities for Wild and Crazy Sex than a woman with a stump for a foot.

Viper said...

How about foot strengthening exercises? Place a towel on the floor and bunch it up with your toes. You can google it if my instructions are too vague. Also, remember that alcohol reduces pain and improves confidence. I recommend some spike nog for the season. Cheers!

X-Country2 said...

Oh no! I vote you get new running shoes and wear them ALL the time. Even with dress clothes. Become one of those women who walk around big cities with power suits and tennis shoes.

Roisin said...

1. New shoes
2. Tennis ball
3. Bunching-up-towel
4. Picking up pencils
5. Booze.

BrianFlash said...

Strangely, I'm going to try to give real advice. Remember, though, I'm not doctor. I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Check out this blog entry my wife wrote some months back: http://runningteamflash.com/?p=1068

How's that for a self serving blog promotion?

Morgan said...

First off, everyone's advice is HILARIOUS!!!!

Second off I had a similiar prob like this and I did the ol' tennis ball trick as well as my Coach giving me a "wood" to use after runs to stretch out my foot & calf. It's basically a ramp for your foot. Other than that I suggest elevating and icing it. You can never go wrong there!

I hope it gets better ASAP and good luck this weekend at the race!

joyRuN said...

If it's plantar fascitis, religious calf stretching should help.

It's it's an arch problem, my PT recommends curling your toes in (like feet crunches) throughout the day.

If none of those help, getting drunk plus wild & crazy sex are excellent options.

SteveQ said...

35 years of running and 500 "career-ending" injuries tell me: if it gets worse with every step, take time off to heal. If it doesn't get worse with every step, ignore it until it does.

Same rules for sex.

Spike said...

if it's plantar fascitis then: 1) you can deal with it and still run (but it will hurt); 2) it does take some time to heal.

if it's not, I've got nothing for you. I’m a doctor, just not that kind of doctor.

theloosemoose said...

Damn, girl - you clearly have the
H1N1 flu. Also the beginning stages of paralysis and quite possibly a mild case of genital warts.

You should really take better care of yourself.

Marci said...

I have no idea what your injury is, but I hope you can back running without pain ASAP!

The Merry said...

So what's the story? Did you go for the ho ho ho or ease the muscle pain with HoHos instead?

Danielle in Iowa said...

I disagree that this might by plantar fasciitis. I have had that and it didn't migrate up to my ankle.

When my arch hurt and it migrated up to my ankle, it was because I was standing on the outside of my foot and the muscles on the inside, including up my lower leg were really tight. My sports masseuse told me to put my feet on a table and flex the inside of my arch to stretch out the muscles there.

Trust me on this... I'm a doctor...

Speaking of which, I'll be in MA and VT next week, so maybe some of my dissertation writing mojo will rub off on you when you are in NH (those states are small - my mojo extends far).