Tuesday, 8 December 2009

Potpourri: holiday edition

I don’t feel like talking about health and fitness stuff today, so you get this instead.

Staying warm on a budget
My desk in the house is right in front of a window. Cold air comes through the window and gets funneled downward by the curtain thus freezing my feetsies. My house in general is usually not that warm these days so I wrap myself up in my quilt when I sit at my desk. However, this still leaves my feet in environs equivalent to those of a meat locker. Well, genius that I am, I’ve come up with a solution. Sleeping bag + hot water bottle = lovely warmth and continued blood circulation. Huzzah! The one problem is if I have to get up in a hurry. Basically I end up falling over and flailing around like a turtle stuck on its back. God help me the day I end up bursting the hot water bottle in the process. I may drown.

Next week can’t come soon enough
I’ve been getting nostalgic recently. I’m sick of the rain and I’m sick of my dissertation. The holidays are here and the only thing I want to do is go home and enjoy it all with my loved ones. I realize most people bitch and moan about having to visit the old homestead this time of year, but as we all know by now, I’m not normal. You live far enough away from everyone for a while and you begin to appreciate what you’ve left behind. Having said that, we still do have a saturation point with each other. That’s why my visit is just under three weeks—I should be leaving just before we all start getting irritated with one another. It’s all about planning, people.

Anyhoo, since I can’t think much beyond simple bullet points nowadays, here’s random list-y stuff I’ve been looking forward to about the holidays.
And I’ve petered out. Stupid brain. So, what are you looking forward to/enjoying about the holidays?

Countdown to Crazy
Five days till I don the Santa suit and run my cranky ass through Nerdtown. What I find most amusing about all of this is that a lot of you expect to see photographic evidence of this stupidity. Silly rabbits.

Tonight’s the department Christmas party where everyone gets tanked on free booze and the grad students gorge themselves on the free food. Nothing like trying to act cool and professional while a sloshed faculty member sways drunkenly in front of you yammering away as you surreptitiously collect nibbles into a napkin for later. Hello awkward, my old friend.

Happy Tuesday, everyone. Catch up with you when I can.

Later gators.

16 comments:

The Merry said...

Can we see videographic evidence of you trying to get up from your desk and tripping over the whole feet-in-a-sleeping-bag experience? I think that would get a lot of hits on YouTube :)

And y'know, if you get tired of hanging out with the family, you can always come out to Oregon and try snowboarding down Mt. Hood, a.k.a. the Oregon volcano voted Most Likely to Erupt.

joyRuN said...

Yes, we DO expect photographic evidence of you cavorting through the streets of the UK wearing a merry bright red Santa suit, dammit!

Have a great time at your party. Photographic evidence of sloshed faculty members would also be appreciated :)

Lily on the Road said...

That is quite a visual you painted while sitting at your desk, thanks for that, it is now stuck in my head.

When family visits we give it the three day rule, as we all know, family and dead fish start to smell after three days...Ah, that Christmas spirit...

Roisin said...

I really love visiting my family, but yeah it's all about planning...you have to depart at just the right moment in order to avoid the fights and awkward moments.

RunnuRMark said...

Sounds like somebody needs a Snuggie for Christmas...

MCM Mama said...

Totally LOL at the snuggie remark. I was thinking the exact same thing!

Too bad you are coming back to the states for a visit, otherwise I'd bribe you with the promise of a care package if you'd post the picture.

Oh well, have a good race and a wonderful visit with family.

Morgan said...

3 weeks?!?! You're better than I am... I last 3 days before I need to exit... typically attempting to find an early flight out at that! LOL! I promise I love my family, just not up close!

Have fun tonight and take pics to use as blackmail for later. You never know when you might need that when your grades slip from marathon training.

SteveQ said...

My Xmas music list:
http://quicksblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/trouser-press-christmas.html

Best song of the season: "I Wish You a Merry Christmas" by Big Dee Irwin and Little Eva. Available only on the John Waters Christmas Album.

Keith said...

I second the request for video. Especially coming at the moment as your eyes are closed and you're trying to find the exact right way to phrase that difficult concept.

BrianFlash said...

If I remember correctly from my trips to the UK, everyone thrives on cold weather. Windows up all year round. Everything drizzly and wet and cold.

I bet a space heater that runs on 220V would put out some toastiness toward the feet...

Jess said...

I think a Snuggie should be on your xmas list! Wink, wink.

Carolina John said...

santa suit pics!! stay warm girl.

X-Country2 said...

Santa suit pics or it didn't happen.

Thomas Bussiere said...

Good attitude. My Mom, brother, and sisters all live in VT (where I was raised for 19 years), and I always look forward every year to seeing them. Your right about appreciating what you left behind. Soooo true.

Frayed Laces said...

Sick of your dissertation? Nah..... ;)

theloosemoose said...

I am most looking forward to Santa pics of YOU, so don't disappoint! I want this even more than a Popener...but not quite as much as date pinwheel cookies, 'cause those things ROCK.