Thursday, 3 December 2009

Water, water, everywhere

The Xenia’s one-woman Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 5K was a success. Amazingly, I not only scored first place in my age group, but I also placed first overall. Outstanding, no? :)

Turns out I did get to celebrate Turkey Day properly this year, just not on the Thursday. Sunday night, I brought over a green bean casserole to a friend’s where he had cooked up an entire Thanksgiving Day feast. He did an amazing job, especially being heavily handicapped as he was (he’s British). Included in the menu was pumpkin pie. Amazing homemade pumpkin pie. It was delish! So for all of you who ate an extra slice of pie for me last Thursday, I’d just like to say thanks for your efforts, fatties. Too bad it was all for naught.

Here comes the rain again...
Thankfully I'm not forced to crawl through a river of shit first...

Contrary to my often inane ramblings on this blog, I’m not an idiot. I did realize England’s reputation for gray skies and perpetual rain. However, it’s one thing to understand it in a theoretical sense, but entirely another to live it.

This island’s BFF status with the jet stream is effing killing me. It rains all the damn time except for a few moments here and there. Light drizzle, steady rain, outright downpour with gale force winds. If a type of rain exists, it’s present in England.

Monday marked the beginning of Week 1 of my marathon training. I was supposed to go to the gym to swim. Nope, didn’t happen even though I felt like a total lard-ass after the Thanksgiving feast the previous day. Early this week we had a cold snap. Add to this the perpetual rain and there was no way I felt like waking up early to cycle in the freezing rain to the pool. Instead I pigged out on sugary goodness to celebrate my unstoppable aging process.

Tuesday rolled around with the first planned run of my training schedule—a simple 3 miler. Yup, you guessed it—freezing cold temps, incessant rain and my wimpy fatty self decided snoozing for an extra hour was a much better option than running in cold rain.

Finally on Wednesday, the cold snap disappeared and we were left with our usual mildly cold rainy conditions. It was drizzling Wednesday morning and, I hate to admit it, but I wimped out AGAIN. I resolved that no matter what the weather was like I was going to run that evening.

A little after 7 pm, I cycled home in a downpour. I trudged into the house and up the stairs and got my running gear on. I made sure my ipod was encased in its ghetto water resistant sleeve (i.e. a ziploc bag I cut up) and out the door I went.....into a perfectly lovely evening. It was no longer raining. Sure there were gigantic puddles everywhere, but I wasn’t being pissed on by the sky gods and that’s all that mattered.

I clocked in my best 5K time in weeks on that run. Psyched up about running and being in training mode again, I headed out early this morning for my second planned 3 miler for the week. It was a helluva lot slower than the first, but what did I expect after only 12 hours of rest in between.

Anyhoo, all this is to say I’m back on track with my training plan and feeling good. I’m looking forward to swimming tomorrow morning and running my first long run in ages this weekend. It’s only a measly 6 miles but since I haven’t been running more than 4 miles in the last couple of months, it’ll definitely seem long to me.

Okay, back to the dissertation grind for me. I’ll catch up with you guys when I can.

Later gators.

15 comments:

Lily on the Road said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lily on the Road said...

Good for YOU! Now, spend some of your energy my way, because my lard-ass is spreading its way to the UK...

that was my delete by the way...sorry

Morgan said...

I seriously don't think I could manage in a rainy place like that, I get anxious when it's "monsoon season" aka rains everyday at 4pm during the summer here in Florida, and that's only for like 20 minutes and usually their sun showers! Great job on the runs girl, you'll be back on the training train before you know it!

Also, very glad you got your Turkey Day celebration after all!

Morgan said...

I seriously don't think I could manage in a rainy place like that, I get anxious when it's "monsoon season" aka rains everyday at 4pm during the summer here in Florida, and that's only for like 20 minutes and usually their sun showers! Great job on the runs girl, you'll be back on the training train before you know it!

Also, very glad you got your Turkey Day celebration after all!

Jamoosh said...

I'll tell you what - if the Xenia One Woman Turky Trot allows duplicate awards you are golden!

RunnuRMark said...

I don't understand why rain would be a deterrent...it's a total time saver. You take your shower while you run/bike. I thought women were supposed to be great at multi-tasking...you should be all over that.

Nice job shoving a hardy helping of Thanksgiving down those Brits' throats. That's one holiday you should not go without.

The Merry said...

Congratulations on placing first! That'll show those invisible running friends who's boss :)

Jamie said...

Glad to hear you got your thanksgiving feast afterall! and congrats getting back into training!

Viper said...

Cold rain is my No. 1 foe. Good job avoiding it AND running. Cheers!

Roisin said...

Whatever. I don't regret my extra helping of pumpkin pie at all. Running in the rain's not so bad...it makes you faster!

joyRuN said...

Did you get a Popener as your award? I have one next to my medals, ya know.

Good job on the runs, girl!

theloosemoose said...

Congrats on your stellar perfomance at the Turkey Trot. ;)

I, too, loathe rain. I'll take snow anyday. But since I needlessly ate all that stinkin' pie for you, I'm going to have to run in whatever kind of weather we get. It sucks to be a fattie.

MCM Mama said...

Good job on the running! I'd be a fat, depressed slug if I had to deal with rain that frequently, especially cold rain.

MCM Mama said...

Good job on the running! I'd be a fat, depressed slug if I had to deal with rain that frequently, especially cold rain.

SteveQ said...

Stick to that dissertation! Well, not literally; shower after your runs. I left grad school ABD and all I got was to paraphrase Animal House: "13 years of college down the drain."