Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Springing into action

Everyone and their mothers were out running last night. I’ve never seen so many people running in Nerdtown before. I don’t know if it’s because we had pretty good weather for the last three days or if it’s the New Year’s resolutionists being all gung-ho, but the sidewalks and streets were riddled with running fools.

On one hand, it’s kinda nice. I feel like I’m part of a large group of lunatics who like to inflict pain on themselves, albeit for a good cause. However, on the other hand, I want them all to go away so I can have my running route to myself again. I guess I could just switch back to morning running when there are always fewer people about. But then I’d have to quit my bitching. I’m not sure I like that option.

The road ahead
Over the past couple of days I’ve been putting together my race schedule for the spring. Sadly, all the races seem to be concentrated in May. Eh, I’ll live. Here’s what I’ve got so far
Okay, technically the Bath Beat isn’t a race. It’s supposed to be a day for leisurely walking around the countryside but apparently there are plenty of crazies out there who choose to run it. This will be my first of two 20 mile training runs for Edinburgh. 21 miles over hilly terrain isn’t my ideal (I live in flat country, people), but I’m doing it for the homemade cakes that are going to be at all the refreshment stops. I just hope they’re giving away better fare than spotted dick.

The more astute of you may have noticed I didn’t name the second race. I’m a bit reluctant to do so since the race is months away and I’ll just be getting you excited now for nothing. Ah, f*ck it, I like torturing you guys. I’m running this race on May 2nd. You can thank me in the comments.

And if I have the time, funds and inclination....and if you’re very, very good to me, I’ll even consider running this race in June. But I’m gonna need a lot of incentive, people. You’ve been warned.

Depending on how well Edinburgh goes for me and if I’ve made significant strides towards completing my dissertation, I’d like to run a marathon in the fall. So far my options include the following:
I don’t think I hate myself enough to attempt the hilly atrocity that is Athens. I’m actually leaning towards Robin Hood, Berlin or Loch Ness, but I would get little to no break between training cycles. This is all on the back burner for now though. I don’t have to make a decision until April at the earliest.

Okay, folks, that’s it for me. Happy hump day to you all.

Later gators.

18 comments:

Keith said...

How can you NOT enter the Venice marathon??? I've run in Venice (not a marathon!), and it's beautiful. Now you've got me tempted. I want to go back.

ShutUpandRun said...

I was curious about the spotted dick. Thanks for educating me. I did not expect it to be a dessert I'm sure it's something my mom would like. Then I can say my mom likes spotted dicks.

Those are some amazing marathon choices you have. I think I'd have to go for Venice or Lochness. Athens would be amazing, but like you said - hills. Good luck deciding!

Lily on the Road said...

OMG, Loch Ness...I'm checking my calendar...seriously!!

Jamoosh said...

Darn it, now I am excited. I hope it's not for nothing.

The Merry said...

You're totally mad. You do realize that, right? :)

Kristina said...

Ooooh, I could be convinced to run the Loch Ness marathon. Henry's really into mythical creatures, so that'd be a good tie-in for a family vacation.
In the meantime, you need to pick a race with clotted cream at the finish.

GeorgiaSnail said...

I love the first item listed under the "Venue Facilities" for the race that shall not be named...

Carolina John said...

that's a cool schedule. looking good girl!

Mark said...

A fabulous plan ahead along your journey! Wow!

SteveQ said...

Your secret race has me thinking more of "Nuns on the Run" than "Sister Act." Would I need to shave in order to be Sister Euphemia of the Five Wounds?

Theresa said...

Ahh, planning. Good for you for doing so!

It's recently smacked me in the head how much not planning I manage to do. I'm trying to change that. And I am considering, perhaps maybe, a half-marathon....

BrianFlash said...

The British are mad - but in a good way! A nun run is fabulous.

Danielle said...

I vote Berlin!

And how awesome is it that you get to keep the sumo suit! Think of all the uses!

Ali said...

I love spotted dick!

all those races sound great, and the places you would get to see! Venice ... wonderful ... but my first thought was ... water

Roisin said...

I have to say, you've got some tough decisions on your hands there! So many great choices, and those are all races I want to do someday!

As a side note, Everyone is out running in Chicago too! I kinda wish they'd disappear until I'm well enough to run with them ;)

carpeviam said...

How do you find all these fun races to run?! I'm jealous!

MCM Mama said...

I am soooo jealous of your race choices. Beer Geek and I were just discussing finding a non-US marathon next spring for a no kids vacation.

The Laminator said...

Ummm, lady Xenia...my marathon plan should not be so sanskrit to you if you're running one yourself in a matter of a few months...

No comment on the rest of your races because honestly I don't think I'd be caught in any of them...but you go on with your bad self! Just bring back some funny pictures!