Friday, 15 January 2010

Tri-ing it out

Thanks everyone for your comments on the last post. But now it’s time to get back to what this blog is all about...ME, ME, ME!

Over this past week I’ve been easing myself back into my exercise routine. Monday was that mentally painful two-miler on the dreadmill, Tuesday I did the 30 Day Shred DVD I got for Christmas, yesterday I cranked out 5K on the mill and this morning I swam for half an hour.

30 Day Shred is a nice little re-introduction to strength training for me as I was rather sore over the next two days but not totally put out of commission. The plan is to do the DVD two or three times a week until it becomes really easy and then I’ll move on to something else for strength training.

Thanks to the wonderful suggestions from MCM Mama and Carpeviam I was able to survive a longer go on the treadmill yesterday by varying my speed more often and covering the display with my towel so I didn’t obsess about how slow time was ticking by. Sadly there is still a large clock on the wall next to the tv screens so I can’t totally get away from the time obsession, but it is much better now.

Even better news is that the temperature here has risen to just above freezing so the snow is melting, helped even more by the rain we got yesterday and are enduring today. I’ll take the rain if it gets rid of the snow. I should be able to do my runs outside this weekend. Halle-freaking-lujah!

And today’s swim was preparation for an event which begins next week. I’ve decided to join the CONTACT Cape-Atlantic Triathlon which joyRuN talked about last week. It’s a month long event starting January 18th where I have to log a total of 2.4 miles for swimming, 112 miles for cycling and 26 miles for running. The running will be easy and this challenge will keep me motivated to continue with swimming and increase my cycling time for the next four plus weeks. Hell, I may actually get around to biking to Blenheim and back which I’ve been promising to do for ages now. All in all, I think this challenge is a great way to kick off the new year and see me into training for the Edinburgh marathon.

Okay, enough of the fitness yackety yack. As I send you off into a hopefully warm(-ish) and fun weekend, I leave you with this gem from Texts from Last Night. It had me laughing for a good long while.


I’ll catch you all next week.

Later gators.

12 comments:

Jess said...

Nice job with the week's exercise! Soon, you'll be like a well-oiled machine.

The Merry said...

I like that goal. Except that I can't get myself motivated to go swimming. (If I want to get drenched, I step outside.) You're going to be a lean, nice, fighting machine!

Nitmos said...

I wish all races are month long events.

BTW, how are you reading my texts?

X-Country2 said...

Great goal. Good luck!

Viper said...

Congrats on getting back to it. Have a good weekend. Cheers!

Carolina John said...

oh my that text is hilarious!

good luck on the challenge. it's going to be fun, and you will get your rides in.

Ali said...

I want to try the 30 day shred ... I'm scared.

That text is hilarious!

Razz said...

Mortal Kombat! That's my new tagline.

MCM Mama said...

I love Texts from last night.

Glad I could help a bit with the dreadmill running.

Good luck with the tri goals.

Jamie said...

I could not stop laughing when I saw that text yesterday. Love that site!

Good luck with the month of tri

theloosemoose said...

That's all well and good but what about Mortie? Is she running the marathon or not??!!

joyRuN said...

Slowly but surely, I'm getting back into it. First day TODAY, girl!!