Tuesday, 23 February 2010

150 days...give or take

I won’t be moving out of the House that Crazy Built until the middle of summer. Crapola.

It’s not because of my landlady (unquestionably the nicest woman on the planet) who has said she would release me from my signed lease at any time with no problem. Instead it’s because I don’t have time to devote to an apartment search in the middle of term when I’m up to my ears in work and training at the same time. Things are still a bit shit, but the situation has calmed down so I’ll just deal with it and look forward to the summer. At least I have work and running to keep me out of the house most of that time as well as an amazing number of friends who have come out of the woodwork to offer spare bedrooms and couches any time I should need them. I may be hurting for decent housemates, but I’m rich in kind and generous friends. I can definitely live with that.

So, anyway, let’s get back to that running.

My one lovely and sane housemate, Finn, joined me in a couple of runs last week. She’s a long time runner and I admit I was a bit wary of having her join me because I’m essentially a tortoise and Finn is pretty much a gazelle. There’s a bit of a speed difference there. And by a bit, I mean a lot. However, she assured me that she was slow and not to worry about it.

Yeah. Sure.

Wednesday morning dawned and she and I headed out in the early am for a 5K. Right off the bat I could tell her easy pace was close to my tempo pace, but I kept up and felt good for being pushed but not to any breaking point. Then on Sunday she joined me for the first part of my 10 mile long run, heading off before I made my second loop around the northern residential area. It probably doesn’t need to be said, but my pace dropped significantly after we parted ways, but that was probably for the best. Because of work and getting in all those cycling miles at the beginning of the work, I ended up running four days in a row (Wednesday to Sunday) which is something I don’t normally do. And my paces for those runs really showed it, especially the second run as I ran it less than eleven hours after the first. Yeah, I’m not so good with the planning sometimes.

Another thing...apparently last weekend was the Weekend of Taking the Piss. On Saturday morning I was running on the sidewalk, minding my own business when the guy walking towards me thought it would be funny to mime like he was running by swinging his arms wildly. Then on Sunday when Finn and I were trotting along, an older guy pruning his bush (not a euphemism) made a point to say ‘Nice work ladies’ and then five minutes later there was another idiot who saw us and decided to do the same mime run as the first guy.

What the hell was put in the water in Nerdtown to make people be assholes? I’ll give the older guy a break since he actually seemed genuine with his comment, but the other two knobs are now on my ever growing hit list. Next time I’ll stop suppressing my natural instincts and just flip them the bird. Douchenozzles.

Sweet jebus, I complain a lot. Sorry, I’ll work on that. Here, I’ll balance things out a bit.
Cute, no?

Later gators.

15 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Holy schnitzzz, I'm just catching up with the whole living arrangement debacle...YIKES, thank goodnes for good friends.

Don't flip those guys off, they don't know any better, just smile and nod, and mutter under your breath. You'll be glad you did, you may have to meet them again while you're looking for new accomodations.

Crap, don't I sound like an old lady? LOL

SteveQ said...

I'll have to reserve comment until I see video of you running; maybe it is worth miming. Back to trimming my bush (yes, euphemistically).

BrianFlash said...

Just mime them with extreme over the top antics. That would probably stop them pretty quick. Or at least you could laugh with them while fantasizing that they'll die young from being unhealthy.

Roisin said...

Ha. Douchenozzles. A most excellent term! Anyway, sometimes it helps to run with a faster person, but it depends on how much faster.

It's gotta be a British thing with the odd commentary whilst you're running. When I'd go for a run in St. Helens, people would yell random things at me too!

carpeviam said...

"(not a euphemism)"

Was that really necessary? Glaven isn't on the interwebs anymore. You don't have to make those comments anymore. You should've just let us make our own conotations. I certainly wouldn't have thought he was doing what you implied he WASN'T doing. But now that it's been implied, I'm thinking of a British man doing just that, outside on his lawn, no less!

Jamoosh said...

You are aware that there are undetectable poisons right... Coming up, a few vacancies in the house that crazy built!

X-Country2 said...

If someone starts gettin' the crazy eye in your direction, I'll do the googling for you and find you a new place. Watch yo back!

joyRuN said...

Assholes come in threes - hopefully such assholery on your runs will be done for now?

Good luck hanging in the house of crazy until summer.

theloosemoose said...

Glaven's not here, but I am (and I'm desperately hoping that he is lurking) and so yes, the "Not a euphamism" was absolutely necessary. Because we all KNOW about those crazy bushy Brits and their complete disregard for any semblance of pubic privacy. Filthy louts...

And I've been mocked/mimed plenty whilst running. I just don't get it. You KNOW this doesn't happen to Paula Radcliffe.

lawmonkey13 said...

Douchenozzles!!! I love it! I intend to incorporate it any chance that I can. Of course, I'll give you the requisite credit. Thanks!

M2Marathon said...

Nothing like a Lolcat to turn the day right around.

And I HATE it when people pull that kind of crap when I am out running--doesn't happen much in CO but happens alot back in my hubby's rural NE hometown...

M2Marathon said...

Nothing like a Lolcat to turn the day right around.

And I HATE it when people pull that kind of crap when I am out running--doesn't happen much in CO but happens alot back in my hubby's rural NE hometown...

theloosemoose said...

Allow me to retract my former statement. Glaven IS here!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!

prashant said...

You'll be glad you did, you may have to meet them again while you're looking for new accomodations.

Work From Home

Danielle said...

I really don't understand why people feel the need to comment while I'm out running.

Except for that guy who yelled at me "Honey, you don't need to be running!"

I give him a pass.