Monday, 8 February 2010

Happenings

Thank you all for your kind words on Friday. My family is doing better. The assholes have yet to be identified and caught, but we live in hope.

Week #1 of marathon training is now in the books and it was a complete success. I ran all four planned runs and got in three days of cycling for cross training. The running and swimming portions of the month-long triathlon are coming along just fine, but I’m struggling with the cycling. My ass goes numb after about 30 minutes, so I don’t see me being able to crank out more than 10 miles in a day. At least not during my cross training days in the next week. That leaves me just four days next week to complete the remaining amount towards 112 miles. Eh, it’s more exciting when it comes down to the wire anyway, no?

This morning I got back to swimming after a brief hiatus. It was a busy day for the pool, but I was all right sharing my lane with the lanky young Mediterranean guy. He was lovely eye candy. However, I picked up the pace when sketchy middle-aged speedo man sauntered by and cast lewd looks upon all the women in the pool. He was headed towards the sauna which I knew left me little time to complete my laps and get the hell out of the pool before he came back. The speedo had to have been from the 70s as it looked more like Depends masquerading as superhero underpants. I’m assuming his super power has something to do with how fast he can contaminate a pool with his infected junk.

Yikes.

To end today’s post, I’ll be stealing borrowing a bit of Jamoosh’s shtick by closing with my own ‘Listening to’ for the day. I’ve been on a bit of a Lord of the Rings kick lately and I find this song to be rather soothing. Melancholy, yes, but soothing all the same.

Listening to: Into the West – Annie Lennox & Howard Shore

Later gators.

14 comments:

joyRuN said...

FIRST!

joyRuN said...

I downloaded a spinning podcast to make an hour on the bike go fast. Then I started buying the trashiest mags I can get my paws on to make the other hour fly. So far so good!

My running's been CRAP as a result, but oh well.

The Merry said...

Xenia, have you tried changing the bike seat?
http://www.crankyfitness.com/2009/03/in-end-comfort-rules.html

Xenia said...

Merry--It's not my bike--Aeolus is wonderful--it's the bike at the gym. I can get more miles in at a faster pace there so that's where I've been doing most of my cycling. I don't think they'd like it if I changed the seat. Picky Brits...

Nitmos said...

Is that song the one that plays when they slaughter Orcs and burn their bodies? That is soothing.

Roisin said...

Good stuff. Glad your marathon training is proceeding well! I'm still hoping Karma gets the douches that held up your cousin's place. Hope springs eternal, and all that...

ShutUpandRun said...

Doesn't sound like there's enough chlorine in the world to decontaminate that guys junk. Ewww.

Jamoosh said...

Numb butt - I hate that about cycling. And hills. And cold wind.

RunnuRMark said...

First, hopefully someone can track down the aholes and intimidate them with a knife...say, slice at their nuts a couple times...see how they like it.

Second, numbass really blows (almost as much as numbnuts). Can you bring your own seat and swap it out while you ride? I'm pretty sure I've heard of people doing that before.

Nice job with all the training...numb or not!

theloosemoose said...

"Infected Junk" - a fine, fine name for a punk rock band.

Kristina said...

Shit, I'm behind on my reader. Really sorry to read about the robbery--so scary. New Hampshire? This area is getting strangely violent of late. Hope everyone's okay.

carpeviam said...

Just don't save that 112 with 1 day to go. I mean I could do it, even in my "condition," so if you want to challenge that, go right ahead.

The Laminator said...

Glad to hear all's well with the fam! Week one of marathon training is always hard. Your body is totally not adjusted and is going "What the F is this?" like all the time! Yes, I know. No matter how fast I run. I know!

Danielle said...

Maybe you should stand up more on your bike? :-)

Girl, you need to build biking tolerance and you can only do that by time in the seat!