Friday, 5 February 2010

Perspective

I had planned to write a funny post for today—making fun of my massage yesterday and gloating about how I’m on track with training. But it’s just not going to happen.

I was informed this morning that my cousin’s restaurant was robbed at knifepoint the other night. My aunt and other cousin were the only ones there. They were assaulted by two assholes who stole the money from the till and then left. The knife, thankfully, was only used to intimidate.

My aunt and cousin are fine. Shaky, but fine. I’m going to call them today when I get home to reassure myself of that fact.

My aunt is a small woman, 5’1” if she’s lucky. My cousin has a form of muscular dystrophy which greatly affects his balance and walking ability.

I am angry and upset, especially because I cannot be there to console and help them in person. I am very close to my family. My aunt took care of my sister and me a lot when we were very little and our parents had to work. Her sons are essentially our brothers.

I can already foresee the majority of this weekend being spent on the phone and Skype. I look forward to it if only to try to make them all laugh and smile again.

Have a happy and safe weekend, my blogger buddies. And thank you for letting me vent.

17 comments:

Jamoosh said...

Some people suck. I hope they find those blokes and rip their finger nails out one by one. Then their toe nails. Then, just to make sure they don't do anything stupid again, cut off their thumbs.

Razz said...

That sucks. Being there for them is one of the best things you can do. Thoughts and prayers.

Carly said...

How horrible! I hope those douche bags get what is coming to them.

ShutUpandRun said...

Man that is just the worst. To see innocent people you love being victimized. Glad you are able to be there for them.

The Merry said...

It sucks to be so far away from your family at at time like that! I'm glad you can be with them, even if only virtually. Thank God for Skype.

Carolina John said...

that's no good girl. i hope everything turns out ok.

Tyger Lily said...

So sorry to hear this! Thoughts and prayers coming their way!

Viper said...

Terrible. Hope your aunt and cousin are OK and that the police (or an angry mob) finds those dicks. Have a good weekend.

MCM Mama said...

That's horrible! Glad they were ok! Hope the jerks are caught!

Roisin said...

Sending prayers your family's way. And hopefully those douches will find out that Karma really is a Bitch.

Danielle said...

I'm glad to hear they were alright, if shaken!

theloosemoose said...

That really sucks. Thanks goodness they were unhurt. Did they catch the dirtbags?

Sheryl said...

Oh no =( I'm so sorry, girl. I'm glad that your aunt and your cousin are alright, and that you can be there for them. I'm sure hearing from you will lift their spirits!

I seriously hope they catch those mofos.

The Running Knitter said...

I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Sending you big hugs!

joyRuN said...

I'm glad to hear your aunt & cousin weren't harmed, but it SUCKS nonetheless to be violated like that.

carpeviam said...

Omg. Hope everyone is doing better.

P.O.M. said...

Helloooooooooo again.

I'm so sorry to hear about that. How utterly horrible, especially to hear from afar and not be able to be there. Glad they are ok.