Friday, 26 February 2010

The pleasure in pain

A long time ago I mentioned I was going to have my first professional massage. The financial splurge was prompted by a knot that had formed in my shoulder-neck area which had a bad habit of seizing when I went running. Ouchie.

Well, I went and it was fine, but not what I was looking for. It was kinda just a pansy spa thing. The entire time she was massaging my lower back (and getting dangerously close to my end zone, by the way) I was grumbling on the inside that that wasn’t the part that hurt.

So, post-non-helpful massage, I started researching where to go for what I needed. And I found it.

I made an appointment with a sports massage therapist. Let’s call her Genghis. Well, early yesterday evening, I met with Genghis and gave her the low down on my situation. She then proceeded to spend the next thirty minutes causing me the most unimaginable pain.

It seems completely idiotic to pay someone for the privilege of having them essentially beat the snot out of you. But I understand that it’s the only way this knot is going to go away. I just thank god she couldn’t see my face during the whole process. I’m told I have a very expressive face and the entire time I was contorting it in an effort not to make a noise or say anything like, “HOLY F*CK THAT HURTS!”

Post-torture session, Genghis showed me some good stretches to use to prevent the knot from reforming in future. She also noticed that my posture kinda sucks since I roll my shoulders forward a bit. Now when I’m out and about, I’m making sure to pull my shoulders back, but this now has the unfortunate result of thrusting my boobage forward. I think I know why I’ve been hunching now.

Not surprisingly I’m super freaking sore today. The barest touch on my neck or shoulders and I flinch. But again, I know it’s for the best. I should be feeling better in a day or two and then hopefully I won’t have to see Genghis again.

For the love of all that is holy, please, I don’t want to see her again.

Since I skipped my run this morning and just finished eating an iced doughnut the size of my face, I really need to get a run in tonight before I attend a dinner function. So on that note, I wish you all a happy weekend and I’ll try to catch up with you next week.

Later gators.

14 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

I have a massage bully who tortures me as well and I pay her to do it. But I swear it helps. Sometimes it hurts so bad I am sweating.

Lily on the Road said...

Be proud of the "girls", shoulders back!! Go back to Ghengis if necessary, she will help.

Have a great weekend...

carpeviam said...

Hurts so good.

Doughnuts?! I love doughnuts! But I get a tummy ache with a whole one. Have to take a 1/4 or a 1/3. So yum.

Viper said...

Pain? Doughnuts? Sounds like fun! Cheers!

Ali said...

I pay for the pain too ... but my massage guy is hot, so it all evens out in the end :)

Razz said...

"my end zone" "boobage" and "iced doughnut"

Xenia = Awesome

What the hell is an iced doughnut anyhow? Sounds like a position that those crazy Olympians are doing.

Danielle said...

I always had a love/hate relationship with my sports masseuse. For some real fun, have her hit up your IT bands...

joyRuN said...

I had a masseuse attack my calves once - I couldn't walk for DAYS. I swear she was digging her elbows into the belly of by calves. OUCH.

Danielle's totally right - I teared up the last time I let the masseuse work on my ITB.

The Laminator said...

Wow, that sounds awful, Xenia! I hope your pain resolves.

Hope you're having a good weekend =)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

It seems completely idiotic to pay someone for the privilege of having them essentially beat the snot out of you.

ZOMG, Xenia! Your first visit to a dominatrix!1!

Welcome to Teh Club!1! Text me, I'll hip you to some really good online Leather 'n' Latex Outlets! You really need to dress the part now or all the other masochists will laugh at you!

Feel free to delete this comment. I have been back commenting for like a week and already, I've been banned from another blog where I was told to:

1. Betake myself elsewhere; and
2. Go bef*ck myself.

And so I thought, what better place for #2 than Xenia Teh Warrior Archaeologist's blog, site of so man Public Bef*ckings?

I have lost count of how many blogs have deleted and/or banned me. But if you want to join that club, go right ahead. It's not very exclusive.

Whereas the I [heart] Dominatrices Club?

VERY exclusive.

Welcome.

X-Country2 said...

SOunds like you got worked! Hopefully you got your money's worth. :o)

theloosemoose said...

I've never had a massage. I've often thought about it post-race, but then I see the grimaces and winces of the runners layed out on the tables and I quickly come to my senses. Iced doughnuts, though? I've had plenty of them.

Laura said...

I went to a masseuse in Boston who did the pain-now-will-make-you-better-later thing, and it totally worked. Unfortunately, most of my massages have been of the cheap Tui-Na variety ($40/hour!) where you feel great at the time but it doesn't actually solve anything. Hope you start feeling relief soon!

Jamoosh said...

Physical therapy that includes working the "affected area" is the same way - it always seems more painful than the actual injury.