Thursday, 11 March 2010

Going long

On Sunday, the day after I ran the devil’s race, I got in my 12-mile long run. I chose a predominantly new route so as not to bore myself silly. I headed north along the canal then turned west onto a footpath alongside a roadway. I passed through three villages and around three roundabouts before heading back after reaching the turnaround point which ended up being a small airfield. I got to see two planes land. It was cool though slightly disturbing in a North by Northwest kind of way since they passed right above my head before hitting the landing strip.

I also chose this run to try out my new hydration belt. A smart person would have broken it in during a shorter distance run. However, since I no longer have the brain capacity to think of these logical things, that didn’t happen. I foolishly attempted to wear it just above my hips and therefore had to keep readjusting it. Finally sanity hit around mile 5 and I moved the belt up to my natural waist. I looked like a frequent rider of the short bus, but it was just so much more comfortable that way. No readjustments and no chafe marks. Sweet.

As far as hydration belts go, the Nathan triangle waist pak was just peachy. Since I’m a clumsy oaf, I preferred the one big bottle versus the multiple tiny ones you get on other belts. Also there was a pouch with space for tissues, my house key, gum and my handwritten directions and personal information in case I got discombobulated along the way. I really need to get a Road ID of some sort, but since my address will be changing at least three times in the next nine months, this is an easier way to go right now. I wish I had gotten the Trek pak instead since the pouch is bigger and I could then carry my phone with me. Ah well, live and learn.

The weather was surprisingly good—blue skies and sunshine though the temps were still at the freezing mark. Add in the wind and it was a bit nippy. So much so that I had a bit of a headlight situation to contend with if you know what I mean. Thankfully there was no actual chafage but running was rather uncomfortable there for a little while. Ladies, have you dealt with this before? Any advice?

Towards the end of the run, things were a bit of a slogfest. But with the bright skies and friendly folks on the path, I kept a positive attitude and made it through, massive positive split aside. Post-run, I put on one of my new pairs of Recovery Socks. They work great. No soreness or swelling in my lower legs at all. However, I would like to suggest that the company look into making thigh-high versions. My quads and inner thighs were a bit sore for the following two days.

I have a 14-miler coming up this weekend and a 16-miler the following week. One of these will essentially be a repeat of the same route, obviously just a bit longer. The other I’ll take the bus up to Blenheim, run around the grounds for a few miles and then run home from there. The added bonus being I can conveniently top up my water bottle and use the loo before heading out on the 8 mile stretch home.

Okay, that’s way more than enough of my yammering. Hope you all are having a bearable work week.

Later gators.

14 comments:

Jamoosh said...

You may be on to something - full body recovery tights!

Pam F. said...

I know I need to get a hydration belt, but as much hell as I have given my mother over the years for her fanny pack, I just cannot bring myself to do it. She would enjoy paying me back ENTIRELY too much.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

... it was a bit nippy

Geez, X. teh Warrior A., we're not idiots, you know! Once you say "it was nippy", we GET it! To go on and re-state the problem as "a bit of a headlight situation" is just redundant and, frankly? A bit prurient.

You know how I hate prurience.

Also, why solicit advice only from Teh Ladies? For someone who now has little bloody nubbins for nipples, you sure are sexist! Because I'm all MAN but I happen to be suckling two people right now, even as we speak, and one of them is even on my t*ttie (the less said about the other's location, the better), and I think I know a little something about how to treat headlight chafeage.

But now? I'm not telling you, and it's your own fault.

No, no - don't bother! You can KEEP your apology.

ShutUpandRun said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. My yoga instructor changed too and I couldn't take the new girl although I gave her a chance. I finally changed studios and even tho it's extra $$ I'm much happier. Good luck!

The Merry said...

The Recovery socks look great, if a bit short.

It's a sign of how tired I am that I originally read they were recommended by "World Crass Athletes." Wasn't sure what kind of person that would be. Perhaps Mr. Glaven might know? :)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

You know someone who had to wear braces for two decades? Even British teeth don't get THAT bad - do they?

Viper said...

Way to get the run in without getting landed on by a plane. FYI, you don't have to put your address on a Road ID. You can just put contact info for people to call when you are found dead, such as your mother or the local coroner. Cheerio!

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Have you tried a pack on long runs? I personally hate belts, but the hydration pack is the way for me. (I know some don't like them.)

Would be cool running under planes as they land.

So, do you use the socks to replace ice baths? Is there a difference?

The Laminator said...

Look at Xenia hammering home all those long runs! Woohoo! So inspiring...

And yes, I mean that. Rock on, my across the pond American transplant!

chia said...

Fantastic review :-). I still have scars on my back fat from the last hydration pack I attempted. One side looks like Gorbechev's forehead and the other looks like a cupcake. Yay me.

In regards to the wobbly bits... baby butt cream works for me. I just slather on the butt rash cream stuff all over the hoots then slap on an Enell and go for the gold.

Jamie said...

I think I have a permanent scar on my lower back from my old hydration belt
At least I have an excuse to get that tramp stamp :) great job on the 12! I too wish recovery socks came in the thigh high version.

Jess said...

I love Recovery Socks!

Carolina John said...

i have to admit... it's good to have glaven back.

lawmonkey13 said...

I didn't really didn't like fuel/hydration belts either until I started pulling them up in my best Erkel imitation. But you're right though, I have no problem with bounce or chafing when I moved it up!