Friday, 19 March 2010

The hunger

It has begun.

The increased mileage of marathon training has initiated the insatiable need to eat absolutely EVERYTHING in sight. It doesn’t matter what it is—sweet, savoury, half a cow carcass—I just want to eat it. [Editor’s note: Minds out of the gutter, pervs.]

I’m always hungry now. This is a dangerous thing in a country that stops everything for both morning and afternoon teatime. And where I work, there are always biscuits (cookies to the rest of the world), cakes or other yummy goodness on offer.

I know thirst can sometimes mask itself as hunger, so I’ve increased the amount of water and tea I consume...to absolutely no avail. The only thing I’ve discovered is that it would be more expedient for me to work from the toilet considering the number of trips I take to the loo now.

I’m in the 30-40 miles per week portion of my training schedule. There’s just over nine weeks left before d-day.

Since the start of marathon training in February, I’ve actually lost five pounds. Is there any chance in hell that I won’t gain them back and then some before the race?

Only time and my scale will tell.

On an unrelated topic, I haven’t been able to get this song out of my head for the last three days, so I thought I’d torture you all with it too.



See, I did learn to share in kindergarten. You’re welcome.

Happy weekend, everyone.

Later gators.

18 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Ahhh, the pretty people of MTV...Whitesnake, where are they now?

And that is exactly how I warm up for a run, no place like the hood of your car to help you stretch....

Good job with your training, you are doing GREAT!!!!

Razz said...

Thanks for helping me out for this week's SSTIFY.

Jerkwad.

Jamoosh said...

I know better than that. Not gonna click the Play" button - not gonna go it!

X-Country2 said...

The hair and painted pants made me laugh before even hitting play. I love it.

RunnuRMark said...

Well played with the editors note. You bet your critical ass that my mind went there! And then you go and talk about how you can't get Whitesnake out of your head. Riiiiiiight....

The Enthusiast said...

Two can play at this game: George Michael - Careless Whisper. I don't even need a video clip, you know it's already in your head. :-P

If you need help not stuffing your face, just think of a huge plate of mayo and fries.. that should curb your appetite!

Sun Runner said...

With just over 4 weeks to go before Beantown I too am in the grips of hunger nearly all the time. I have been bringing lots of little healthy snacks to work with me that I can eat when The Hunger strikes. Bananas are my friend!

SteveQ said...

Yesterday, I made a batch of fudge. Yesterday I ate an entire batch of fudge. But I ran a few miles, so I'm good, right?

SteveQ said...

Oh... and "Pour some sugar on me." Just fighting fire with one-armed drummer fire.

Viper said...

The good news is that you're still running these calories off. Cheers!

BrianFlash said...

It is truly terrible that I have been running forty miles a week and not losing an ounce. Then, I take one little week mostly off (after running a marathon) and gain another pound. Dang fat handles...

MCM Mama said...

Darn it! I didn't even hit play and I've got the song stuck in my head.

Go you on losing weight while training. I've been hanging in there at my usual, but if the hungries keep at me, I'll be gaining soon...

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. Eat, eat, eat!

It took me forever to regain back the lost weight. (Most people enjoy losing weight, but for me it simply is not acceptable.)

Jamie said...

I hear you! That pan of peanut butter chocolate rice krispy treats = bad idea. Congrats on losing weight while training. Normally I stay the same because I'm eating so much.

Danielle said...

This year, my resolution is to not start eating everything in sight during marathon training this time around. I will fail, but at least my intentions are good. My current resolution is to not eat after 8pm, which has been amazingly useful - I apparently do a lot of grazing at night...

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

[Editor’s note: Minds out of the gutter, pervs.]

Some of us live in the gutter full time, body, soul AND mind. You think you want these part-time pervs outta teh gutter?

Imagine how I feel! Pffttt! F*cking tourists!

Also, I don't want to hear about your eating habits. Couldn't this post've waited like a DAY so you could write about the Magickal Poop all that eating produced? The one where, after you pooped it, you gained BACK those 5 lost pounds. Sure, this would essentially be repeating one of your greatest hits like a SNL Whoo-wer, but sometimes ya gotta give the rabble what they clamor for and by rabble I mean me. (If this were LuMu's blog, by "rabble" I'd mean "anal". Just FYI.)

While I'm all frothed up and ranty, can I just ask who this anonymous Editor of your blog is? Because I've been spotting some pretty glaring errors here lately, which suggest that this "Editor" may be phoning it in on an iPhone and if this editor can afford an iPhone doing the crappy job she does then I basically chose the wrong career path because I can't afford an iPhone.

Gimme an iPhone, Xenia Teh Warrior Arch├Žologist!1!

joyRuN said...

It's that time for me all the time, & I'm not even in training for anything, nor am I running my 20 mpw.

Dagnabit. I didn't even hit "Play" and that song's already in my head.

Laura said...

Love that song! And now it's stuck in my head, but I actually don't mind :)