Wednesday, 17 March 2010

Not so Wordless Wednesday

A couple of weeks ago, I was on a business trip of sorts and, since I was in the area, I took advantage and did some sightseeing. Here's some photos from my trip.

Winchester Cathedral


Gigantic stone columns separating the nave from the north aisle.


The nave


Entrance to the crypt. It was flooded the day I visited so this was as far as we were allowed to go. The dude standing in the center is actually a modern bronze sculpture called 'Sound II' by Anthony Gormley.


The main reason why I wanted to visit here--Winchester Cathedral is the final resting place of Jane Austen.


The last house Jane Austen lived in.

My potential future boss is friends with the people who own this house now. If I get that job, I'm so abusing this connection.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!

Later gators.

15 comments:

Jess said...

As a big Austen fan, I'm jealous that you got to visit her grave, as well as her last home. Very cool!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I'd've dug up the grave just to make sure she's still dead.

ZOMG, I'm such a d*ck! RIP, JA!

Prose-master that she was, Jane Austen would have been disappointed in you, X. Teh Warrior Archaeologist! Because sentences that include the phrase "since I was in the area" typically, at some point, also include some sort of denotation of the area in question.

Is that Jane Austen's car in front of that house, too? Because if so, I just lost a bet.

I contended she probably drove a Hummer. Whereas my friend said she probably knew nothing about "hummers".

The Enthusiast said...

OMG OMG. Quite jealous. Jane Austen.... *sigh*

Nitmos said...

Don't you just know that the house has green shag carpet in the basement?

X-Country2 said...

Nebraska sucks.

Viper said...

Ugh, Jane Austin ...

SteveQ said...

That was the nave? I thought it was the transept. And to think I just read a book on cathedral architecture. Guess that makes me the (k)nave.

The Merry said...

Want to hear something sad? When people talk about Jane Austen's grave, my mind leaps to zombies.
Jane is probably rolling over in hers just at the thought of being associated with zombies.

Crossing my fingers for the job!

BrianFlash said...

Winchester is such a historic place. This brings back memories of a trip to the UK years ago. I love the cathedrals and abbeys where people are buried all over the place.

Jane Austin though - not so much...

RunnuRMark said...

further proof that Europe is just bad ass...to look at, at least.

joyRuN said...

Lovely pics, X.

Who's Jane Austen?

Carolina John said...

Great pics. seems like a fun "business" trip.

Lily on the Road said...

Just when you thought Glaven was dead!

Thanks for taking me on your business trip, I really, really miss working for the airlines...

Keep me satiated with photo's...PLEASE!

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Beautiful pics. Wish I could be there to witness it first hand. Thanks.

Danielle said...

OMG Jane Austen's house is so cute!