Monday, 15 March 2010

Try and fail

Something is not quite right on this British isle. This is the third weekend in a row where we’ve had sunshine and blue skies.

I feel a gigantic bitch-slap from Mother Nature coming along in 3...2...1...

Anyhoo, Sunday morning I headed out on my 14-miler. I filled my Nathan waist pak bottle with Powerade diluted with water and packed gummy bears for refueling and entertainment purposes. I do so love the little bears.

I headed out on the same path as last week along the canal and then west along the footpath wearing what can only be described as the ‘Lost Referee Looking for the Playing Field’ outfit—a white long sleeve tech shirt, black tech capris, and gray Recovery socks. I was hot and I knew it. Others agreed if the amount of rubber necking (not a euphemism) from passing traffic was anything to go by.

Right before I passed the second roundabout, I went to adjust the waist pak strap and all hell broke loose. Check it out:
One of the prongs broke off. Of course it would be the ‘male’ portion of the buckle that would break. Typical.

I spent the next two miles holding the damn thing in my hands not knowing what to do really. Then I realized that as long as the bottle (which was still pretty full) wasn’t holstered, I could still wear the belt. So that’s what I did for the remainder of the run. At the 12 mile mark I drank the last of the Powerade and was able to holster the bottle without any problem.

I have no idea what to do about the belt situation. I’m a cheapskate so my instinct is to jerry-rig something (hello duct tape, my old friend) to hold the damn thing together. I’m just super pissed that I’ve only used this belt twice and it’s already busted. What a waste of money.

Post-run, I took extra care with stretching and even did Legs Up for ten minutes. Then, since my quads were so sore after last week’s long run, I attempted my first real ice bath. Because the pain suffered by others wasn’t warning enough that this was going to suck big time doody.

I filled the tub with cold water, intending to get in and then dump in the ice. If only I had recorded the amazingly inhuman shriek that came out of my mouth when I put my right foot into the water. I’m sure it would have rivaled the sound of this ear-splitting creature.

Reassessing the situation and my wimpy-ness, I decided it would be better for me to get into the tub first then fill it up with water. Why? I have no idea, it just seemed logical at the time. And that’s what I did. I set the egg timer for 15 minutes hoping I’d last at least five (that’s what he said).

The first three minutes were complete and utter hell. I’d like to meet the genius who thought this crap up and slap him upside the head. Masochist.

Moving on...

After the three minute mark, pretty much my entire lower body went numb though it still wasn’t comfortable by any means. I managed to last a full 20 minutes by distracting myself with lunch. Because it’s a perfectly normal occurrence to be naked from the waist down sitting in a tub full of ice cold water and eating a peanut butter sandwich. Am I wrong?

My legs are feeling pretty good today and I even went for a swim this morning so maybe the ice bath was a good thing. However, I’m gonna go without one next week and see if it really was so beneficial. It’s just so much fun treating my body like a guinea pig (not a Richard Gere euphemism).

Okay, folks, that’s it for me. Have a great week ahead.

Later gators.

18 comments:

The Merry said...

If you went swimming in cold water, would that have much the same effect?

Viper said...

I usually just go with a cool bath. I think ice is a little overboard.

As for the belt, you can usually buy those clips from a craft/fabric store. If you have any sewing skills (and you should since you're a woman and all), you can fix it yourself for not too much.

Cheers!

Keith said...

You are not wrong. Anything with a peanut butter sandwich is normal, and acceptable.

Pam F. said...

LOL @ the "that's what he said" remark. Just wanted to let you know that someone caught that.

And thanks for the shrieking creature clip. THAT got my dogs good and stirred up! LOL

X-Country2 said...

I can't do ice baths in the winter, but I love them in the summer after a hot and steamy run. And yes, I totally eat while sitting. I thought everyone did? :o)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Hahahahahahaha! ZOMG, Xenia Teh War. Archaeologist! I thought I was the only one who could get a "bird"* to make that sound! And it doesn't take me no five minutes!

(For the record: I would totally f*ck that bird. Next time I'm in DC, watch out, bird!)

Yeah, the reason there are two GQH's on my blog is: My Name Is Legion For There Are Many of Us In Here. (And we're all "into" birds, if you get my drift.)

Fix the belt with duct tape. Because I hear you on the whole "I am cheap" thing.
___
* In the British sense, i.e., chick. Awww, who am I kidding! I mean it in the literal sense!

Ali said...

Perfect description of an ice bath. Made me shiver.

Roisin said...

Good God. Don't go in naked! Wear a swimsuit or spandex shorts, for the love of all that is holy...and your vag. No one told me that the first time I tried and it was terrible. Swimsuit/shorts at least make it slightly okay.

theloosemoose said...

I, too, am a cheap ass. But maybe you can e-mail the company and tell them the situation. They might replace it, especially after you let slip that you are a world famous runner/blogger and you have MUCH influence over your public. REPLACE XENIA'S DAMNED WAIST PACK, NATHAN!!!!

Kristina said...

Wanna know where all your rain is? It's in your original home--like a monsoon here, I tell ya.

carpeviam said...

You milked for 10 MINUTES?! You badass. I can only milk for about 5 before my boobs give out.

Wait, are we talking about the same thing?

MCM Mama said...

I have to agree with the loose moose (hmm, that's scary), but yeah, contact the company. Mention your blog. Bet they help you out!

I can't eat in the ice bath. I'm too busy shivering.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Just FYI - I have a Flat Irish @$$, so there's little point in my "shaking" it. In fact, in Ireland? They're known as money-losers, not -makers.

But when God closes a door, He, in His Infinite Wisdom, always simultaneously opens a window, because we Irish have been repaid for our flat @$$es by being ... hmmm ... shall we say? ... compensatorily "front-loaded" ... if you get my drift?

In case you don't, what I'm saying is the Irish have LARGE p*nises - especially the women.

Just got back from visiting Teh 'Dad: It is indeed a UTI. He may be home as soon as tomorrow. And, you'll be glad to know, Shakespeare is still Catholic, because Teh 'Dad still sez so.

Thanks for asking, X.!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Jebus! I just spent like 4 hours leaving a comment here and your blog EATED it!

Dubya Teh F*ck, X.?

O, wait! It just appeared when I hit "Preview" on this one!

Still, What Teh Eff, X.?

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

BLAARRRGH! They only appear when you hit teh "Post a Comment" link!


HOW DARE YOU SEGREGATE ME, XENIA!

Is it because I'm Irish?

joyRuN said...

Is why I get in the cold water first then dump the ice in gritting my teeth. And I wear a sweater & hat. Hat is key. And chocolate. Then some nice mindless reading Maeve Binchy. Warms my <3 right up.

Contact that company. Not right that shit should break after TWO uses!

Jamie said...

No matter how bad the quads hurt I can not bring myself to sit in an ice bath. Props to you!

Jamoosh said...

Sounds like you should try out Nathan's custoemr service. Friends of mine have complained to the Fuel Belt folks about bottles before and received a set of new ones - gratis.