Monday, 29 March 2010

Ugh

My chaotic weekend included a conference, British daylight savings time, continuing to lose the battle against the Dissertation Chapter That Will Just NOT DIE, a night of 12 straight hours of sleep, a day where I laughed so much that my abs were actually sore the following day, the consumption of three hamburgers and the first of what may be several craptastic Yasso 800 sessions.

Go me.

Because English weather is now back in full force (rain, rain and more rain), I forwent the track (a very special one which I will post about, against my better judgment, at another time) and attempted 4 x 800m on a treadmill at the gym. Not only did I have to contend with the soul-sucking hell that is a treadmill, but I also have never done speedwork consistently so the mental anguish was rather dire to say the least.

Instead of four repeats, I completed two. Physically I could have completed four, but I was suffering under time constraints, mild shin splints and mental weakness. Again, I’ve never done this before so I think starting with four repeats was a bit optimistic. And by a bit I mean a lot.

So Yasso can kiss my ass-o. Instead I’ll be following the Runny is Funny method of repeats. Since I successfully completed 2 x 800 last week, this week will be 3 x 800. But if I don’t complete all three within the prescribed time (a pathetic for you but optimistic for me sub 4:30 each), then I will repeat it each week until I do and only then add on an additional repeat. I like this method because it speaks to the perfectionist in me while also making sure I don’t bite off more than I can chew. It’s a win-win situation really...except for the fact that I have to do speedwork in the first place. Yuck.

Say what
Since I’m majorly behind the times, I only recently saw the ten-minute video for the Lady Gaga and Beyonce song, Telephone. It was emailed to me by a friend who I have a long standing disagreement with re: Lady Gaga. My friend likes her music and thinks Lady Gaga is an artist in respect to both her work and fashion choices. I like Lady Gaga’s music but I acknowledge and accept the fact that she’s clinically insane.

I present to you Exhibit A:

I rest my case.

After I watched the video, I replied to my friend with a list of my comments. To state it simply, they weren’t complimentary. Instead of re-posting my email here, I will just direct your attention to this parody video which another friend brought to my attention. It summarizes my thoughts quite well.



Word.

All right, folks, that’s it for me. Hope you all have a good week ahead. Catch up with you when I can.

Later gators.

13 comments:

RunnuRMark said...

I KNEW that's what womens prison was like!! Sheesh...the crap I miss out on by not keeping up with today's mainstream music.

And kudos for your attitude on the speed work. Don't give up on it. It sucks, but it works.

Jamie said...

Speed work sucks but I think you have a good plan. I tend to train by the "bite off more than I can chew" method :)

SteveQ said...

Go you, indeed!

Viper said...

Lady Gaga definitely needs "Caution" tape. I could barely tell that was a parody. Good luck with the speed and the writing. Cheers!

Ali said...

totally agree ... Gaga is insane. She is a complete diva mess.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I think your dissertation would go a lot faster if you weren't taking that How To Speak Fauxlipino Like A Native course with boyBuM. Don't deny it! Your post title gives it away: "Ugh".

Ugh", "Grr", "Blort", "Blarrghh" - these are all Fauxlipino words and soyYuM has used each as a blog post title in the last year, if I'm not mistaken*.

"Gaga" is also Fauxlipino in origin, but I'm not even gonna hint at what it means because it's still illegal in Great Britain because, hey, nobody really cares if that hippo "gave its consent", as you contend, because you're still disgusting and that hippo is a whoo-wer.
____
* Full Disclosure: I am mistaken.

Keith said...

In order to have an opinion about Lady Gaga, you have to know who or what she or it is. I don't. I am proud of this (lack of) knowledge. In this case I do not need to get out more.

Danielle said...

Oh my God Kermit! What has she done to him! What she did to him, maybe she can do the same to your dissertation chapter? The chapter that was the hardest and that I spent the most time ended up being the crappiest because I just couldn't get any awesome conclusions out of it. I was hoping my committee might not notice if I buried it among the other chapters...

Jamoosh said...

Horrifying in green. Or any otehr color...

carpeviam said...

Nice video. Well said. Or, unsaid.

PS-Keith never gets out. He stays home and watches Battlestar Galactica and Lost.

theloosemoose said...

Laughing 'til your abs hurt is WAY better than doing crunches or Pilates 100. You might be on to something here. The next time I feel the urge to do some ab work, I'll just hire someone to tickle me, instead. But NOT Keef. 'Cause Dog only knows what Kanadian tickling entails.

Carolina John said...

That video is hilarious! great find. hope everything smooths out soon!

Theresa said...

So is your weather as craptastic down there as it is up here? It feels like winter is trying to make a comeback, and not the nice, snowy, with crisp cold winter that we unexpectedly got this year. I mean the gray, cold, horizontal wind-blown driving rain winter. Ugh, indeed.

And I feel like I need eye bleach after watching both of those videos. WTF?