Monday, 5 April 2010

Beg, borrow or steal

It’s a Bank Holiday today on the English isles. That means the university, including the libraries, are closed, as well as a few shops here and there because apparently capitalism is not understood in this country.

You would think this means I get a day off too. Wrong, my friends. PhD students don’t get holidays. They’re just called work at home days. Bah humbug.

Because of Easter festivities, my long run was postponed until today. I still have not run it. Why? Because I woke up with mega cramps and before I could take any ibuprofen I had to eat something, but I wasn’t hungry. Yes, it’s one of those days.

So the plan is to work a few hours as I sit at my desk in my pjs with a hot water bottle against my lower abdomen then get out for my long run. I know of course you will all be waiting with bated breath to see if I complete this task. I will update this post later with my accomplishment...or epic fail. Because really, it’s a toss-up at the moment.

[Editor’s note: Thanks to Merry at Sheesh for letting me steal borrow her accountability-post format. I really needed it today.]

Training du jour: 18-mile run.

Update: Done.

17 comments:

Jamoosh said...

Cramps begone! Tame the 18 and reward yourself afterwards.

Count of Monte Christo said...

Shops should Never be closed. Especially not on bank-holidays.

All the best with the cramps and enjoy the long run!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Good luck getting the run in!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

X (and Mama X),

Re: my comment on the previous post: Yes, I did consider it mean. I already apologized to cv for my overreaction but neglected to do so to you.

I am sorry; I apologize. I am not normally so thin-skinned.

When April is over, I will rudely return with a rude vengeance. But not the way I did in that comment!

P.S. Yeah, I'm an early riser. What I neglected to say in that post is, at my age? You don't really need that much sleep. It takes very little energy to rock in a patio chair and yell at kids to get off your lawn. It's amazing so many of us oldsters die of apoplexy nonetheless!

ShutUpandRun said...

Hope you had a cramp free run. Looking forward (with bated breath) to hear.

Theresa said...

Well? The afternoon is getting on. Have you made it out the door?

(Is the guilt working?)

The Merry said...

You're most welcome to borrow the format, so long as you pay up. As payment, I request that you loan me some motivation. As soon as you have some, that is.
Calcium supplements are also supposed to help with the cramps. Worth trying.

SteveQ said...

Thanx for showin' me the love by commenting on my blog for the first time - I'd trade physical complaints with you, but the reassignment surergy cost's prohibitive. Hope the long run goes well!

Danielle said...

Endorphins makes cramps go away! Or something...

Jamie said...

Long runs with cramps can be the worst. Good job getting it done!

X-Country2 said...

Doesn't be a girl suck? My advice: get knocked up. I haven't dealt with Aunt Flo in months.

Although I'm +25lbs and require assistance getting off the chase lounge. But hey, think of all the money I save on tampons.

Jess said...

Glad you were able to get it done!

MCM Mama said...

LMAO at XC2.

Good job getting the 18 in!

carpeviam said...

"It takes very little energy to rock in a patio chair and yell at kids to get off your lawn."

OMG! That's hilarious!

carpeviam said...

Eat Cadbury Eggs much? That always helps me. With anything, really. Can't you get those eggs in the UK? I mean, Cadbury IS in the UK...

The Laminator said...

Cramps suck! I hope you got rid of them so you can go back to normal life.

RunnuRMark said...

Thanks for reminding me I'm glad I'm a man. I don't recall too many times when I've had to put a hot water bottle on my sack (except when i needed low-budget birth control). I consider that a good thing.