Monday, 19 April 2010

No fly zone

Finally got off my ass and got some runs in. Saturday I turned my speed work into an easy three miler. The shin splints reappeared but not so badly that I had to stop. Sunday I knocked out an eight miler with absolutely no shin splint pain. I maintained a slow and steady pace and ran on the canal path. Not sure what made the difference, but I’m happy things are getting back to normal.

For scheduling reasons, I’m postponing my 16 miler until tomorrow. This morning I got in 3 miles and then cycled to the gym for 30 minutes of swimming (another nolhtairt!). I haven’t been swimming in over two weeks, so it was definitely time to hit the pool again.

Another busy week ahead. My mom and aunt arrive via boat on Saturday, so I have to get in all of my planned runs for this week by Friday. Then I get to play tour guide for the next six days. Awesome.

The PMSing of Mother Nature
The Eyjafjallajoekull volcano is being a real mother f*cker. First off, its name is too long. I have a firm policy that no word should be longer than my surname which has thirteen letters. The volcano is in clear violation of my edict.

Second, bitch keeps spewing ash, although god knows I haven’t seen any sign of it. I guess it’s hella far up there. The only places I know of that have had debris actually land are Iceland (duh) and the Shetland islands.

The volcano is on a glacier which is now melting and causing massive flooding in Iceland. (On a side note, the Brits say the word glacier differently. We North Americans pronounce it ‘glay-sher’ while the Brits say ‘glass-ee-r’. Freaks.) Also, all of Eyjafjallajoekull’s current activity has the ability to trigger its larger volcano neighbor Katla into erupting too. Joy.

All flights in northern Europe are still grounded. All trains are solidly booked for about a week and the cost of renting a vehicle is now astronomical.

Universities in the UK run on a three term system. Third term begins next week. However, many professors and students are trapped abroad. People who were on fieldwork, at conferences or on holiday now can’t get back and vice versa. The British government is set to deploy three naval ships to start picking up trapped Britons at various ports.

With the exception of worrying about how my mom and aunt are going to get back to the states if the flight ban continues for another two weeks (funnily enough they have a stopover on Iceland. Yeah. Fan-f*cking-tastic.), I’m lucky in the respect that I had no plans to fly anywhere so am not suffering the direct ill-effect of Mother Nature’s temper tantrum. However, I will, along with everyone else in Europe, be hit with the craptastic side effects.

Most of our produce comes from abroad. The stuff from southern Europe can still be trucked in, but everything from Africa, Asia or South America can’t get here. If the flight ban ends soon, we’ll merely be hit with increased prices on produce for a while. If the flight ban continues...I don’t even want to think about it.

Right now, I just hope the debris doesn’t land here anytime soon, because it’ll totally screw up my long runs.

Priorities, I has them.

Have a great week, everyone.

Later gators.

9 comments:

Jamoosh said...

As long as you can still get haggis from Scotland, who cares...

Razz said...

It's all about you, isn't it? What about those poor ponies on Shetland Island?

SteveQ said...

And the Icelanders pronounce the volcano's name something like Eshashookul. Freaks.

Danielle said...

You better stock up on Gus for those long runs before the vomiting volcano causes import of all Gu to cease!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

The volcano is in clear violation of my edict.

I love the word "edict" because it sounds like something you chicks can do for fun on the Interwebs. "I haven't had genuine meat-world sex in 10 years but every night I log onto my special web site and get thoroughly 'e-dict'."

But it sounds as though you're just getting 'dict' by that volcano.

Whatever. Take it where you can get it.

ShutUpandRun said...

I have new admiration for you since you can even spell/type the name of that volcano. Wow, saying "glacier" the english way sounds much more sophisticated as does everything.

Theresa said...

Well, there are always turnips.

joyRuN said...

I bet spam would still be cheap. You DO get spam over there, don't you?

Glad the shin splints didn't reappear. Nothing like shooting stabbing pains in your legs while trying to run.

Jess said...

All this volcano business is messed up. what was that volcano thinking? It owes the airlines BIG time!