Monday, 17 May 2010

Heading into the home stretch

After logging some hours at the library on Saturday, I headed out on a four miler in Port Meadow. I greeted my bovine friends with the usual nod and wide berth as I witnessed their skill at multitasking (pooping while eating—amazing). The rabbits were out in droves and scurried into the shrubbery as I passed. My constant companions during the short run were the bugs. Seeing as it was dusk and I was running next to the canal, there were a lot of the little suckers. In total I inhaled three—accidentally swallowed two and spit out one (commence spit-swallow jokes)—and took one in the eye (I’m making this way too easy for you guys today). After I got home and was stripping down pre-shower, I discovered three bug carcasses on my chest. They either weren’t ready for my jelly or I have the Bosom of Doom.

It’s a toss-up really.

Saturday was also the day I checked my pidge at college. In it I found the envelope with my Edinburgh marathon bib, timing chip and race day info. There’s still an expo of sorts, but it’s only mandatory for overseas participants to pick up their race stuff. There will be some merchandise stalls, but I’m not going to be arsed to go since I’ll be arriving at about 2 pm-ish on Saturday after a five and a half hour train ride. I’d rather just relax and hang with my friend and host, Theresa.

Having the race paraphernalia in hand finally booted me out of Total Ambivalence and into Tepid Excitement for the big day. I’m assigned to the gold group, the second to last in the starting queue. Yay for slow people! My race number is one digit away from being one of the most awesome numbers ever...and a great luggage or air shield combination. It will now be my job to hunt down the bastard who actually got that number and slap him silly for stealing my potentially epic life moment. It’s only right.

This also got me thinking seriously about my marathon playlist. Last week I was over at a friend’s and we happened to catch an episode of Top of the Pops (a now defunct program which was the British equivalent of shows like American Bandstand) which featured performances from the 80s and 90s. It was fun seeing what did and did not make it across the pond.

One of the performances was by Black Box, the 90s group which became embroiled in an escandalo when it was found out that the lead vocals were actually performed by rubenesque Martha Wash and not skinny-minny frontwoman Catherine Quinol. Anyway, Black Box was performing ‘Ride on Time’, a song featured in a funny training montage in the awesome 1992 film, The Cutting Edge.



My sister and I loved this movie growing up and it marked the start of my crush on actor D.B. Sweeney which subsequently waned after witnessing him being molested by aliens in Fire in the Sky. Eh, it was glorious while it lasted.

Long story short (too late!) this song has now been added to my race day playlist. It makes me happy so it’s a keeper. I’m pretty tired of most of the junk on my ipod though so I’m searching for new additions. If you have any race day song suggestions, I’d love to hear them.

Okay, that’s more than enough from me, especially on a Monday. Have a great week, everyone. Catch up with you when I can.

Later gators.

20 comments:

Scarlett Elliewood said...

I love the Cutting Edge clip!! Since yr running in Scotland, you better have The Vaselines on your Ipod. Have a great week!

arabic search said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
web search said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Top of the POPS, sister.

Some of use remember it from 1970 when John Lennon performed "Instant Karma" on it.

He seems, weirdly enough, to be singing along with the record. Not exactly lip-syncing, but still.

Incidentally, "IK" is the song I'd suggest you add to your running list.

It was produced by schlock producer and convicted murderer, Phil Specter, with his characteristic Wall Of Murk sound. Man, that guy sucked! But Instant Karma got him. Just not soon enough.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Uh, and back in 1970? We spelled "us" with an "e" at the end.

Wee likeed use somee eee's backe thene.

Xenia said...

Typo has been corrected. Thanks, G.

MCM Mama said...

Ooh, so close now! Good luck!

SteveQ said...

Just have to point out Glaven misspelled "Spector" yet again.

I used to run on a course early in the morning and the local cows associated people at that time of day with milking. They'd run comically alongside the fence, udders ripe to bursting, wishing I'd DO something. Poor kine.

Nitmos said...

12344 or 12346, which is it?

Hard to believe but they actually made a Cutting Edge II.

Good (tepid) Luck!

Viper said...

I think they even made a Cutting Edge III.

"Top of the Pops" makes me think of the Kinks. Anything from "Lola vs. Powerman and the Money-G-Round," but "This Time Tomorrow" and "Powerman" are particularly good.

BrianFlash said...

My number for my first marathon (Austin) was 1111. But the disposable chip adhesive caused a big tear down the number ruining, what I'm sure will be, the best number I'll ever be given.

Jamoosh said...

Why in the name of all that is holy are you logging time in the library when there is running to be done?

Oh right - education...

joyRuN said...

DB Sweeney.

Swoon

Getting excited for you!!!

Jess said...

"Bosom of Doom"! I love that! I'll have to steal it later this summer when my rack gets plastered by the little black gnats that kamikazee into me when I run!

Haliku said...

Saw your well worn Marshalltown (4.5?)profile pic and just had to visit your blog. Enjoy the taper and good luck on your race. I start my taperville after this weekend. Cheers!

X-Country2 said...

Bossom of Doom. Hee!

Jamie said...

I loved the Cutting Edge. That was quality stuff :)

Good luck with the rest of the taper!

carpeviam said...

Cousins-Vampire Weekend
I'm in the House-Steve Aoki
Your Love is My Drug-Ke$ha

Roisin said...

I feel your pain with the bugs. It's usually an all-out war for me with the gnats during the summer months.

4mp4.net said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.