Friday, 21 May 2010

Here I go again

Yesterday as I was walking to the store, I saw a girl wearing a Frankie Says Relax shirt and then later another girl sporting legit Hammer pants. WTF decade are we in again?!

I’ve been working from home the last three days. Today I’m back at the department because I could no longer stand the construction worker next door who thought he was on Britain’s Got Talent. The last straw was when he butchered Phil Collin’s In the Air Tonight. Bitch was worse than Mike Tyson.

Today I’m finishing up some work before I head north on the train tomorrow morning. The marathon has been forefront in my thoughts the last few days, especially yesterday when I realized my race plan was no longer viable. Why is it no longer viable?

Edinburgh doesn’t have pacers.

I must have confused Edinburgh with one of the other marathons I was considering and thought it had them. It does not. It’s gonna be me and a pace bracelet. Again. I suck at pacing myself.

My training has not gone to plan. I completed very little speedwork, gained a bit of weight and had a screwy taper. When I first signed up for Edinburgh my goal was 4:45. Now I should just be praying for a one second PR. However, I really, really, really want a sub-five hour time. I want that four in front of my time so badly I can taste it. And when I say sub-five I mean 4:59:59.

I’m just not sure if it’s in the cards this time. Yes, Edinburgh is a downhill course, but a good chunk of it is run along the Firth of Forth which has the potential for some strong winds. If said winds are blowing up man-kilts, I’m all for it, but not if it’s going to slow my pace.

It’s all gonna come down to the mental game. Thankfully I have been preparing for this during my long runs—sometimes even with some success. Basically, I’ve focused on staying positive and using the landmark-to-landmark technique to keep me moving.

There are bonuses to running in Edinburgh as well—I’ll have the companionship of nearly 20,000 other runners, a great friend who is making my first ever marathon sign, the support of friends and family from afar, the chance to run on what I’m told is a beautiful course and, last but not least, the presence of Scottish men in kilts.

Oh yes, there will be kilts.

I won’t know unless I try, so try I will.

Just to let you know, because of travel and the like, I may not post until Tuesday. It all depends on whether I choose to sleep on the train or type up my race report. I have a feeling sleep might win. In that case, I ask that no one (and you know who you are, stalkers) spoils the fun by revealing my results before I’ve posted. Cuz I’ll find a way to virtually kick you in the nuts if you do. Even if you’re nutless, blunt force trauma to the cooch (not like that, pervs) is still painful so I don’t want to hear it.

And because it’s appropriate and the title of this post, I leave you once again with Whitesnake.



Have a great weekend, everyone, and good luck to all those racing.

Later gators.

23 comments:

Jamoosh said...

Good Luck at Edinborough.

Jamoosh Say Relax!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I want that four in front of [me] so badly I can taste it.

There are worse things to have in front of you that you want to taste so badly.

winds ... blowing up man-kilts...

Uh, yeah .. such as that.

And if that chick was wearing a Frankie Says shirt, I think the decade she was in was the Misnomer Decade; because Frankie Goes To Hollywood were a group and hence a they and, hence, "Frankie Say". (I don't deny there are knock-off "Frankie Says" shirts out there and that that may be what you saw. But still - people need to get their gay 80s iconography right because if they don't they'll get everything about the 80s wrong because it was all gay. Except me.)

Good luck in your marry, sister. Hope you get to see plenty of harrrrr-eee noos-sahhhhhk [<--Scots for "hairy n*ts@ck"].

Frankie Say: It's better than a 4 before your name.

See? TOTALLY gay.

[Glaven Say: First comment, a variant of this here one, removed due to numerous solecisms. Talk about your gay irony!]

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jumper 2.0 said...

Whitesnake?

So, your saying you don't like us?

Sun Runner said...

Good LUCK! May the wind be at your back. Goin' down the only road you've ever known. Like a drifter you were born to run alone.

I doubt Tawny Kitaen ever ran a marathon. Anyone can roll around on the hood of a car. Pfft.

MCM Mama said...

Good luck!!! You can do this - if I can survive running by myself singing "99 bottles of beer on the wall", you can get to 4. Just sayin'

And now I've got that darned song in my head and I didn't even click the link.

Haliku said...

While the Whitesnake song was too much of a flashback (also stuck in my head) I'll still wish you good luck! Wind, like pain, is only temporary. May it be a tailwind. Cheers!

Nitmos said...

I hate to be "that guy" but, golly gee willickers, I would really just love to run Edinburgh regardless of time. So, enjoy.

Roisin said...

I'm with Nitmos on this one, because if you relax and enjoy it, you'll probably hit your goal anyway. If you get too nervous, that will only lead to gastrointestinal distress. And we all know what happens after that...

poop.

SteveQ said...

Great. Now I have an image in my head of the guy from the Saw movies saying, "Oh yes, there will be kilts."

Carolina John said...

Good luck babe! take pics! sub-5 is totally achievable.

BrianFlash said...

My clothes don't really wear out so I still have crap from the 80s that I wear...no Frankie Does Hollywood though.

Good luck in Old Reeky!

Viper said...

Hammer pants? Wow. Maybe Zoobas will come back too. I miss tiger stripes. You don't need a pacer. It just takes practice to become more conscious about your splits. Cheers!

joyRuN said...

Lots of luck, lady X!

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME :D

Scarlett Elliewood said...

Lots of luck and have fun! No matter how much those last miles hurt, running is still less painful than stressing over a dissertation, right? I can't wait for the race report.

Jamie said...

Since I want no kicking of the taco I won't be ruining any results. Hopefully you can find someone else who's trying to run the same pace to tag along with for the race?

Good luck and safe travels!

The Running Knitter said...

Good luck! I know you'll ROCK!

Jess said...

Good luck! You're gonna do awesome!

carpeviam said...

All the best!

Danielle said...

Good luck! Tomorrow I am running The Great Kilted Run in Seattle, so I will be checking out men in kilts in solidarity with you in the morning!

Sheryl said...

Good luck, Xenia!!! =)

You're right. You'll never know unless you try. Give it all you've got cause in the end, even if you don't reach your goal, you'll still feel better about having gone all out to get it, than just resigning yourself to not getting it from the very start.

Sending over some good race vibes to ya. (= You can dooo eeeeeet!

websites directory said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.