Monday, 10 May 2010

Taperville


Weekend to-do list:
(1) 20 mile run – CHECK
(2) Edit dissertation chapter – CHECK
(3) Run 7k race – FAIL

It has finally happened—my first DNS. I didn’t want to miss the race but it wasn’t in town and the time needed to travel there would have been completely wasted seeing as I get carsick when I try to read in a moving vehicle. I had to prioritize and the 20 miler and this god-forsaken chapter had to come first. I really hate losing out on money, but at least it only cost me a tenner.

The 20 miler went ok. And by ok I’m mean everything except my pace which was god awful. Eh, what do I expect after two weeks of patchy running.

The highlights of the run included:
  • playing Frogger with the cows in Port Meadow. I won. Barely.
  • nearly having my shins attacked by an irate goose. She was protecting her babies though so it’s ok.
  • seeing the rowing teams practice on the river at butt-early in the morning.
  • smiling at and passing the same fisherman on the canal four times. He probably thought I was a nutter.
  • fuzzy baby ducklings everywhere!
  • horses. Yes, just horses. I like them.
  • a little dog deciding it would be more fun to run with me than walk with his owner. Sadly, the owner won.
With the 20-miler completed, I have officially entered the city limits of Taperville. Thank jebus! One more long-ass run (i.e. the marathon) and then I can go back to my regular all-short runs schedule. Ah, bliss.

Holla at my homies
A new reader has delurked and left me a comment. Scarlett from Port to Port is an American runner in Barcelona and she recently ran her first half-marathon, the start of which was located next to Roman ruins. How cool is that!

Also, Shut Up and Run ran her second marathon this past weekend and biotch BQ’d! Woohoo!

Now be nice little minions and go congratulate these fine ladies. They deserve it.

Have a great week, everyone.

Later gators.

11 comments:

Jamoosh said...

I don't think I am worthy of being even a minion...

Viper said...

Well, two out of three ain't bad. That's like 75 percent or something. Cheers!

Jamie said...

2 out of 3 is what I call a good weekend. Nice job on the 20! 20 miles is awesome no matter how it gets done!

EZEthan said...

In my experience 20 milers are tough but tapering is tougher... good luck with that!

Also, Congrats to Scarlet on her PR... that said (and I don't want to be a buzz kill here) but I've been to Europe and EVERYTHING is next to the Roman ruins!

Jess said...

Nice job on the 20 miler, rabid geese and all!

Carolina John said...

nice job knocking down the 20!

Theresa said...

Awwww, baby ducks.

And well done on the diss chapter! (Gah, writing!)

Ali said...

You are tapering, 2 out 3 equates to perfect

MCM Mama said...

Welcome to Taperville. Population: crazy. ;o)

Good job getting the 20 done. At least you saw horses and ducks, which is way more than I can say about my last 20 miler.

Frayed Laces said...

Dontcha just hate it when this whole phd thing gets in the way of your running?

Hey, at least you made the smart move and didn't dns on the 20 miler.

Danielle said...

Fuzzy wuzzy widdle duckies!

Why are you looking at me funny?