Wednesday, 2 June 2010

Seven Deadly Sins of Post-Marathon Recovery

Gluttony – Food, glorious food. Get in mah bellay!
Sloth – Exercise, schmexercise. Besides, the couch is super comfy right now.
Pride – I ran another marathon. Bow down, bitches!
Greed – I don’t have enough race medals.
LustWANT.
Envy – I should have had so-and-so’s finishing time. Bitch stole my running mojo.
Wrath – Scale, you did NOT just show me that number!! %*&#...

It’s been ten days since Edinburgh and I haven’t run a step. Hell, I’ve done absolutely sod all on the fitness front. However that will change this evening. I’m planning to go out for a three miler sans watch. I don’t need to know how slow I’ve gotten with my prolonged inactivity and unsurprising weight gain. Also today is National Running Day. Appropriate timing, me thinks.

My other source of motivation to get back to running this month is that I’m moving to the other side of town at the beginning of July which means no more regular jaunts in Port Meadow with my animal friends. Venturing there will now be limited to runs of 10-12 miles which, lets be honest, will not happen often since I’m not training for anything any time soon. But my relocation will provide me with other scenic locales in which to run...though maybe not so much at night. My new neighborhood is a bit rougher than the one I currently live in, but that’s the sacrifice I had to make to score an affordable studio flat. At least I’ll be closer to a larger grocery store which means less travel time with heavy bags and lower prices. See, there’s always a bright side.

Hope your week is going well. Catch up with you guys when I can.

Later gators.

15 comments:

Liz said...

Having managed one run of 2 miles since the marathon, I know just what you mean...

Lily on the Road said...

I bow down to you! Happy National Running Day!!!

Haliku said...

Taking time off post race is a good thing for the body and mind. Ten days is good. Normally I take about a week off to heal all the micro tears in my muscles. Sounds like the move is your next challenge? Cheers!

Jamoosh said...

I don't believe I have approved this move. Need more freakazoid roommate stories...

Viper said...

You are Miss Optimism. Enjoy your hedonism. May you outrun the smiting you deserve. Cheers!

ShutUpandRun said...

Bow down bitches!! Love it. Now get off your ass :)

Haliku said...

Your post marathon hike up Arthurs Seat reminded me of somthing from my studies. See: http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_collections/collection_highlights/arthurs_seat_coffins.aspx

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Pride – I ran another marathon. Bow down, bitches!

"... and while you're down there, might as well introduce y'all to Teh Eighth Deadly Sin: Oral Sex Jonesing - SERVICE ME, BITCHEZ!1!"

Hahahahahaha! I think you forgot that one, Xeniopoulous Marathopoulous!

Good luck with the move! But for the love of Jebopoulous, commit already! If you're getting a "flat" you're moving to a new "neighbourhood"; but if it's a "neighborhood" you're moving to, that 12' x 12' one-room residence you'll be living in?

Yeah, it's an "apartment".

Roisin said...

It is kinda hard to justify double digit runs when you're not training for anything, so I completely understand.

National Running Day? I guess it's a good thing I ran this morning.

Keep resting up, you had a hell of a race. But take it from one who is currently there, don't stay off your feet too long. That endurance is easier to lose than you think :(

X-Country2 said...

Awesome list. Although, I wouldn't call half of those "sins". :o)

Scarlett Elliewood said...

Having some potato chips for dinner in honor your marathon. Enjoy your life of sin for a few more days!

Deb said...

"Get in mah bellay!!!" My Boy Moose says that all the time! What's it from? Inquiring minds want to know. Because we say it here ALL the time, but we're not quite sure why.

Boy Moose doesn't, however, say "flat". Why? 'Cause he's AMERIKAN, that's why!!

Enjoy the post-marathon bliss. You deserve it!! Eat lots, run little.

Jamie said...

Awesome! I am so freaking guilty. Hope the return to running went well.

The Enthusiast said...

You get prawn crisps and Ribena. Live it up in my honor! (Even if you don't like the stuff!)

Danielle said...

Ooooh, that Rome medal is purty!