Monday, 14 June 2010

Timeless

World Cup mania is here and I’ve been caught up in the chaos much to my surprise. I’m not really a sports person, but it’s impossible to ignore the World Cup in this country. English flags are plastered EVERYWHERE – cars, windows, faces, tattooed on people’s no-nos, etc.

Saturday afternoon, Greece got their asses handed to them by South Korea (score was 0-2) and that night England played America. The game ended in a tie. I’ll have you know I told the home team to f*ck off and rooted for my birth country. (No, I wasn’t spawned in the depths of Hell. I know, shocker.)

I feel bad for the US soccer team since this is the most watched sporting event in the world, yet most Americans probably don’t even know it exists. Our team’s not too bad either. Well, except for Saturday night. They had absolutely no offense to speak of and their only goal was the result of England’s very Green goalie cocking up.

Did you catch that pun? Funny, huh. *crickets*

My awesomeness is wasted on you guys.

Oh yeah, this is a running blog
Last week blew big chunks. My hysteria over my approaching major deadline (submitting my dissertation in 5 1/2 months = AHHHHHHHHHHHH!) has made my schedule sucktastic. I’ve been stress eating, chucked exercise at the first opportunity and have been glued to my laptop like white on rice. Healthy, no?

This weekend I attempted to turn things around. Since I’m moving in three weeks, I thought I should make an effort to eat the crap I have in my cupboard and therefore buy as little as possible from the store. Working with what I have, this week I’ll be making shakshuka, homemade ‘kitchen sink’ soup (i.e. if it won’t make it rancid, it gets thrown in) and my own patented lazy-person’s meal of tuna, couscous and sauteed courgette zucchini. Weirdish, I know, but it doesn’t taste half bad.

I also finally got back to running this weekend. Both days even. Score! I ran my out and back route in Port Meadow and, both days, was surrounded by the grazing aminals (unintentional but it stays). Sunday was even better since there were numerous baby horses and cows amongst the herd and they all decided to congregate along the path on which I was running. Too cute.

There’s been a common factor amongst my post-marathon runs (all three of them – yes, I am that bad ass) -- I haven’t worn my watch. I have no idea what pace I’m running at and that’s for the best. I have enough to obsess and fret about right now and I don’t want running to be added to that, so I’ll be running without a timing device for the foreseeable future. I’m not training for anything anyway, so it’s all good. I’ll just be a zen runner for a while.

Me being zen? Huh. This will be interesting.

Okay, that’s it for me. Later gators.

16 comments:

The Merry said...

Now and Zen, it's okay to concentrate on getting the @#$!% dissertation done. After you move then you can worry about running again.

And oddly enough, it seems like a lot of Americans are caught up in this World Cup stuff. Not sure if this state will last once we get whup-assed by some lesser country that isn't obsessed with football, baseball, and oddball politicians.

joyRuN said...

Zen's all good - running just for the enjoyment of it (imagine that!).

Besides, you do have too much to worry about as it is.

Soccre players = hot.

joyRuN said...

Make that "soccer".

I haven't turned Canadian yet.

Jamie said...

I wish I had some baby animals along my running path. Instead I see the local homeless and maybe a cute puppy or two.

A lot of people here all jumped on the soccer bandwagon for at least the world cup. It's a bit entertaining watching them pretend to know what is going on.

SteveQ said...

Aren't there like 50 World Cups in various sports? This is just the FIFA World Cup. I'm waiting for the wheelbarrow race and lawn darts world cup.

RunnuRMark said...

Good idea. Running seems so much more fun when you take the structure out of it and just go. I've sure enjoyed not having a plan the past couple of months.

McB said...

Soccer is starting to catch on in the U.S. I doubt it will ever hit the levels of popularity it enjoys in other countries, but it's played in so many schools now that there is some general knowledge of it.

As to not knowing about the World Cup, I wouldn't know when most of the big sporting events took place if it weren't for an interruption in my usual tv viewing. My concept of March Madness is being mad in March because all my shows are repeats.

Roisin said...

The World Cup is awesome and I'm rooting for anyone but France to win. Anyway...glad your running is proceeding apace. I've found that after big races, it is definitely preferable to just go out and run, paying no mind to pace and whatnot. Good for you.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I’ve ... been glued to my laptop like white on rice.

Wait. They glue the white on rice? You just totally grossed me out! What color is rice for real? Please tell me it's not green! I'll vomit!

This also RUINS one of my favorite jokes:

Q: What's white and crawl up the inside of your leg?

A: Uncle Ben's Perverted Rice.

But who wants - YUCK! - green perverted rice going for their goodies?

I'd rather eat Spotted Dick (or, as the hoity-toity Brits call it, "Polka-dot Penis") than green rice.

Danielle said...

All the bars here are advertising World Cup watching as well. But Seattle is kind of on a soccer wave since the Sounders did so well in their inaugural year last year. I know nothing about soccer, but fortunately I don't have any need to go into bars at 11am anyway...

Jess said...

Since South FL is mainly populated by non-Americans, World Cup mania is rampant here too, but I am barely paying attention.

X-Country2 said...

I haven't run with a watch in months, and it's kind of nice. Freeing actually.

Lily on the Road said...

They are soccer crazy here in the office (yes, I'm Canadian).

Good job running and running without the watch, those are sometimes the best!!!

Viper said...

It sounds like a little free running is just what you need. Go USA! Cheers!

P.O.M. said...

Tuna, couscous and zucchini is totally something I would make. I mix weird shit together all the time.

Ali said...

I am beyond envious about your location during the world cup :)