Wednesday, 28 July 2010

The plan, Stan.

As I mentioned on Monday, I have a chunk a chunk of baklava love to expel from my person. The extra weight I’m carrying isn’t entirely attributable to the Fiesta del Get in Mah Belleh that was last week. The dissertation is a stressful business and I eat like Augustus Gloop in Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory when I’m stressed, hence the extra padding which I have accumulated over the past year. Since I don’t want to end up an official butterball by year’s end, I need to go on the offensive.

Hence my clever idea ... which I stole from Jess and MCM Mama.

I’m going streaking!

But unlike their streaks, I’m doing mine buck naked!

Ok, I lie.

My streak will differ in that it will not just be running but a general exercise streak. Why, you may ask? Well, two reasons. First, I have to see the doctor soon about a minor issue with my left leg (it’s not a big deal, no worries people!), the remedy for which may necessitate a short sabbatical from running. Second, I really need to do some strength training since my muscles are now only pathetic excuses for muscles.

Things have sort of fallen apart since Edinburgh (actually even before then) with traveling and general craziness and I desperately want to get back on the health and fitness track. Right now I need one good habit I can cling to in order to get me through the rest of my dissertation. I’ve decided to go the wise route and make that habit daily exercise as opposed to binge drinking/eating/boinking/other hedonistic activity.

As the name of Jess’ blog indicates, it is typically thought to take 21 days to form a habit so my streak will therefore last a minimum of 21 days. In order for the streak to be achieved I have to do one of the following each day:
  • run at least one mile
  • walk at least three miles
  • strength train for at least 15 minutes
  • other cardio for at least 20 minutes
This excludes my normal daily activity of cycling four miles to and from work.

The streak started today as I finally woke up early and got in a pathetic-yet-inspiring-to-me two mile run. I also ended up walking and cycling a total of eight miles since Aeolus had to go to the shop for repairs this morning. While there he also got fitted with another basket, this one with a metal support screwed to the frame so hopefully another asshat won’t steal it again. Douchenozzles.

And since we all know weight loss is something like 90% about food intake, I’ve taken measures there as well. I’m writing down everything I eat, working hard to get in my five-a-day and trying to resist sweet, sweet temptation whenever possible.

So far, so good. But it’s only day one. And I’m PMSing.

The next three weeks are going to be the most fun.

Later gators.

13 comments:

SteveQ said...

Once, when I had to list everything I ate in a day, the list included 2 entire sheet cakes. The staff at Purdue knew that this skinny grad student would polish off whatever was left over from birthday parties, but 3 birthdays in one day meant 3 cakes. Good thing there was all that beer to wash it down.

Jamoosh said...

You know, the UK is teaming with Douchenozzles.

joyRuN said...

What's wrong with binge boinking, might I ask? Sounds waaaay more fun.

joyRuN said...

Oh, & at the moment, having a day-long Fiesta del Get in Mah Belleh myself.

Jess said...

Love the "Fiesta del Get in Mah Belleh"! Since you're stealing my streak, I will, at some point, assuredly steal that phrasing!

Best of luck streaking!

Jamie said...

My Fiesta del Get in Mah Belleh just won't stop! Good luck with your new streak!

Ace said...

/breaklurkerstatus Yeah streak runs! Starting off sans vestements would make it a memorable start. Not that I would ever do that...

MCM Mama said...

LMAO at the "Fiesta del Get in Mah Belleh".

Good luck on the streaking. I'm now on day 8 of my new streak (first one got interrupted by a long trip to Alaska...).

Carly said...

hahaha "Fiesta del Get in Mah Belleh". You crack me up.

RBR said...

WELCOME BACK! (I know, I am behind)

1. I am with JoyRuN, binge boinking sound like cardio to me. I am just sayin'...

2. If you resisted sweets (even once) while PMSing you have, like, total deity status. I think that can be listed as a super power.

3. RE: running with SQ, can you imagine?! OMG! He would leave me for dead within half a mile, but that would be a scream!

Lily on the Road said...

swim, swim, swim and what is this about boinking??? fess up!

Viper said...

Good luck streaking. Take aim at the douchenozzles and trample them on your runs. Cheers!

Ms. V. said...

Dang. My Bloglines is effed up. A streak? I'm thrilled to see it. You KNOW you can't use PMS as an excuse .... except to kick ass.

Great to see your blog!!