Monday, 11 October 2010

Rolling with the punches

Hi there. My name is Xenia. You may remember me from such recent posts as... um... er.... I got nothing.

Yeah, it’s been a while. And it appears I’ve lost a few more of my precious marbles during that time. Aces!

Before you ask—no, I’m not done yet. Things have pretty much gone tits up on the dissertation. Submitting my dissertation in December is no longer to be thanks to a massive scheduling cock-up with my supervisor and another grad student.* Instead my supervisor will be reading my full rough draft over the holidays and I’ll submit in February.

The full realization of this hurt. A lot. More than I care to admit. However after wallowing in self pity for a short while, I made myself proud by flipping a metaphoric f-you to all and sundry, did a couple hours more work that night and then got up the next morning and went for a run. Apparently my productivity is best fuelled by bitterness. Why does this not surprise me.

With the exception of my daily cycling commute, exercise has been rather scarce. The last time I ran was three weeks ago and the last time I did any exercise not involving lifting books or banging my head against the desk in frustration was two weeks ago when I hit the gym for a swim.

The lack of activity is due to dissertation guilt which is similar to mom guilt in that I berate myself for every moment I’m not sitting at my desk and forcing myself to write. I know it’s beyond unreasonable to expect myself to be working 24/7, but I still can’t shake the feeling. I’ve had a healthy supply of Greek guilt instilled in me over the years. It’s not going to run out any time soon.

However, I’ve been inspired recently. I tracked Frayed Laces during Ironman Kona and was so impressed with her and everyone I saw cross the finish line on the live video feed. I also had a chat with my sister Z yesterday. She spectated at the Chicago Marathon for the first time (she was one of the girls waving a pink flamingo around between miles 10 and 11) and she told me how motivated she felt to get off her ass and back into a fitness routine because of it. She also said that she wished she had been spectating for me again (Z cheered me on at my first marathon). I wished that too.

So, taking positive steps, I’ve signed up for the Santa Run again this year. It seems I can’t get enough of making an ass out of myself in public. To each her own. I’m also planning on running the second annual 'Xenia’s own one-woman Turkey Trot 5K' on Thanksgiving. I have a feeling I’m gonna place first in the field again. It’s just a hunch though.

Basically all of this rambling means that my blog sabbatical is officially over. Let the sporadic sub-par posting commence!

- - - - - - - - - -
*I’ve just used the words tits and cock in the same paragraph. I’m totally making Momma X proud right now.

13 comments:

Jamoosh said...

Is there a betting line on the 'Xenia’s own one-woman Turkey Trot 5K" yet?

BrianFlash said...

Now you can come over to my blog and give me suggestions for races for 2011! You might win something fabulous...although not as good as the Popenor.

Keith said...

Ummm, I hate to tell you this. Thanksgiving is today. You've only got a few hours to get that run in.

Welcome back!

Besides, dissertations get better the longer they are buried. Sort of like compost.

Scarlett Elliewood said...

So glad ur back and not done! I just had a freak out about not doing my thesis this very afternoon! Misery loves company.

Spike said...

Welcome back! I'm sure you will do awesome at your t-day race.

Jamie said...

Welcome back!

carpeviam said...

She's back! Hooray!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Welcome back.

I spent most of the time you were gone tits up, cock up, but never @$$ up because I was in prison ... the prison that is a blogosphere WITHOUT any post from Xenia, Teh Warrior Archaeologist!1!

Yeah, as prisons go, that one is like one of those club med resort prisons ... until you fall asleep @$$ up!!1! Then it's more like Disney World!1!!

MCM Mama said...

Sorry to hear about the dissertation chaos, but so good to hear from you again. Welcome back!

Theresa said...

Aww, I know that feeling. Sucks. But you will get there!!! Something small that will hopefully cheer you up on the way to you tomorrow.

Lily on the Road said...

Well, you come back, willy nilly and I just can't keep up! LOL...

Welcome back, I suppose this means I have to start blogging more often now too?

The Merry said...

Xenia's back! Woo hoo! Break out the champagne, let the celebration commence!

Oh wait. Maybe I shouldn't mention 'commencement' in this context. Still, I've heard that dissertations go better with champagne. What you do is, you get all the reviewers tipsy, and then one of two things will happen:
a - they'll all love your D., and you'll be in like Flynn
b - you'll break out the video camera and secretly collect enough incriminating evidence to make them pass you anyway, for fear of appearing on a viral You Tube clip.

Viper said...

I'm late to the party. What'd I miss? Oh, you're back. Goodie, goodie, gum drops.

Sorry about all that dissertation stuff. Boo to the hiss on that.

You're just in time for my self-inflicted drama of reaching my yearly mileage goal. Cheers!