Monday, 29 November 2010

The round-up

I don’t have much time or coherence, so you’re getting a hodgepodge of bullet points today.
  • Thanksgiving plans went a bit awry. The original venue had to be scrapped because someone’s kid turned into an infectious carrier monkey. Therefore we dined at my place and I ended up cooking all of Thanksgiving dinner (sans dessert) on my own for the first time ever. People actually ate the food and didn’t croak afterward, so I’m pretty proud of myself.
  • I reached my weekly HBBC goal of 28 points last week. Of course that pales in comparison to the juggernauts who scored in the 70s and 80s. I know I don’t workout as much as I should or could, but, holy moly, wth are these people doing? And if it’s crack, can I have a go too?
  • I ran 4 miles on Wednesday and then I wimped out until Sunday because the temps were a bit cold for my liking. But I got in just over 3 miles yesterday for a weekly total of 11 miles and some change. That’s my highest weekly average since May. Yeah, 2010 has been a big old gutter ball for me.
  • One day when the temps were in the low 20s I saw a dude running in shorts. I thought that was nuts, but perhaps I’m just a wimp like that. This made me curious though – what temperature does it need to drop to for you to break out your long running pants/tights?
  • I have 16 days left before I am stateside. So cannot wait for that.
  • In that time I have to complete two chapters, a conference paper and submit a funding application.
  • Wednesday I have a super important meeting I hope not to cock-up.
  • Oh, and tomorrow is the anniversary of my aging process. That and the second anniversary of my first marathon. Ah, those were the days.
  • I’ve violated my own rule and already put up my Christmas tree. [Editor’s note: The rule being no Christmas crap until after my birthday.] It’s only a little desk tree though. Please tell me I’m not the only one to have done this already.
I hope to post again at the end of the week. If not, it either means I’m busy or that meeting went hella wrong and I’ve jumped ship to join the Peace Corps.

Hope you’re all doing well.

Later gators.

15 comments:

Scarlett Elliewood said...

I actually run in shorts for most of the winter, but people in Spain break out the tights once it drops below 60. / I'm on the same schedule: lots of work before I'm stateside for the holidays!!!

Jamoosh said...

Happy Age Day!

Sun Runner said...

I transition to my capri pants when temperatures drop into the low fifties. My warm tights and pants don't make an appearance until temps get to the 30s.

Even so, I have run major races while wearing shorts with temps in the 40s. It's just more comfortable.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I had a friend who thought he had great legs and so wore shorts at every opportunity. Well I remember his wearing them, lo, even unto February, here on the unforgiving, wintry tundra of Teh Mid-Atlantic States.

He did have nice gams, tho. So ... talk about your cock-up.

Mine sure was.

Does that make me bi-curious?

One Crazy Penguin said...

Once it hits the 30s my legs are comfy and cozy in tights. Anything above that then I try to get by in capris and shorts.

Happy early birthday!

RunnuRMark said...

First off, pants on guys are quite a bit more queer than pants on girls, so we try to avoid them as long as possible for that very reason. That being said, I did bust them out for a low-20's (and windy) run on t-day.

Congrats on surviving another year...abroad, no less.

Razz said...

you know how I know you're getting older?

Bullet points

Jamie said...

glad no one croaked on your food. that is always my number 1 concern.

I break out the capri's in the 40's and tights when it dips to the 30's. I really hate the cold.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Viper said...

I wussed out way earlier than I did last year. In the past I've felt good in shorts down to the low-mid 40s. Cheers!

Pam said...

I've started some of my long runs in shorts when it was in the high 20s. But I knew it would be much warmer and I'd be dying four hours later. (Yes, it took me four hours to do my 20-miler, thankyouverymuch.)

Happy early birthday!

SteveQ said...

Over 50 degrees, T-shirt and shorts. Below that, tights and long sleeves I can pull over my hands. Below 35, add hat and gloves and switch to wind pants and goretex jacket. Below 15 degrees, add a layer. Below 0, if I can't run indoors, add another layer and cut the run to no more than 30 minutes. Below -20... read travel brochures.

Keith said...

All these temperatures in F are making my head hurt. It depends on the wind, how cloudy or sunny it is, and how much snow there is, but about 0 C is where I'll usually start wearing tights. I might layer up my torso a bit warmer than that.

Nitmos said...

The 40 degree mark is my low threshold for shorts. After that, its my homemade capriu jean pant cutoffs I made with a pair of scissors. What they do in chafing, they make up for in pure style.

SteveQ said...

@Keith: I could've done it in Celsius, but Xenia listed a temp "in the 20's" as cold, so I rolled with it. Fortunately, around -40, there's no difference, so either works in the Yukon.

Heather said...

Hi. Nice to meet you. I clicked on your site because I liked the name of your blog on the HBBC spreadsheet.
I am also wondering what those people are doing to rack up all those points.
Below 50F I break out the capris and long sleeve shirts. Under 35, pants and sweatshirt. Luckily here in Texas I have only had to do that twice.
Nice to meet you.
(My tree has been up for one week. My husband was nagging me!)