Wednesday, 29 December 2010

Coming to a close

Hidey ho, neighbors.

Another week has gone by. I have less than two weeks left in the states which includes my first ever trip to Texas. My to-do list is a mile long and good intentions are plentiful but sloth continues to be the reigning theme of my US holiday. I should berate myself for being so unproductive and inactive but I don’t have the energy for that. It’s tiring enough just walking to the kitchen to stuff my face with holiday treats.

The only exercise I’ve gotten in the past week was an hour’s worth of shovelling after we were hit with a nor’easter a few days ago. The winds were pretty strong that day and I was stupid enough not to take breaks indoors so I ended up with some pretty blotchy skin—so much so that it looked like I had broken out in hives. Hot, I know. Thankfully my skin seems to be rebounding and is almost back to its normal state. I am a leper no more.

Year in Review
When I look back on 2010, it's tempting to label it a complete and utter failure in almost every respect. For example:
  • pathetic yearly mileage
  • ran fewer races
  • no PRs
  • got demonstrably slower
  • gained weight
  • did not complete my dissertation
I know I’m not the cheeriest person in the world, but I don’t want to label 2010 as a failure. Instead, I choose to look on the bright side. (Cue Monty Python...)
  • completed my second marathon in unexpectedly hot temperatures and unrelenting sunshine
  • got lost in Somerset and had a fabulous time in the process
  • ran in costume not once but twice
  • explored a little more of England (most of which I actually didn’t post about)
  • visited Santorini for the first time
  • made significant progress on my dissertation
  • received official confirmation that my dissertation is interesting to people other than myself
  • offered a job for next year pending funding approval (fingers crossed!)
2010 was not a rousing success but neither was it a failure. I count it as a learning experience which indeed it was. Now I’m planning on an eventful and super fun 2011. There’s plenty to look forward to—finishing my degree, employment, more travel and lots more running. 2011 will also include a blog name change and a second major cull of the archives. Specific mentions of my profession will be removed and the focus will be on running, cross training and (while it lasts) living abroad. If you have any name suggestions, please leave them in the comments.

Specific running goals for 2011 are currently percolating in my pea brain but I’ll discuss that more next month.

On that note, I’d like to wish you all a safe and happy new year. See you again in January.

Later gators.

8 comments:

joyRuN said...

"super fun 2011"

Why is this scaring me?

Have a great fantastic New Year's!

Re: ruddy cheeks - I don't let my son venture out in the snow w/o an inch of aquaphor or vaseline coated on his cheeks otherwise he looks like he's been slapped.

GeorgiaSnail said...

Yeah for running in costume!!!!

Nitmos said...

2011: Year of the Dissertation: The Finale.

Best wishes!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

2011 will also include a blog name change and a second major cull of the archives. Specific mentions of my profession will be removed and the focus will be on running, cross training and (while it lasts) living abroad. If you have any name suggestions, please leave them in the comments.

How about "Teh Blog of Arbitrary, Wanton, Confusing And Unnecessary Changes, Deletions and Alterations"? That's unwieldy enough that people will probably just continue to call it "Xenia's Blog" for short, which they already do. (I know I will.) Unless you're changing your Nom de Bloggeur too. In which case we'll just call it "Teh Blog Formerly Known As 'Xenia's Blog'."

I know I will.

If not that, I agree with Teh Peachy Escargot that you should call it "Yeah for running in costume!!!!"

Jumper 2.0 said...

Speaking of 2011, thanks to you and CSN stores, I have a bosu ball. The gift card I won on this site helped make it quite affordable.
Happy New Year!

rssasrb said...

Happy New Year, Xenia

I like the way you reassessed the year. Doesn't sound like a failure in any respect to me.

Jamoosh said...

No need to change the name of the blog. Just turn it into a 70's reference!

chia said...

You kick so much ass girlie. Where in TX will you be? Come see me? :-)