Friday, 3 December 2010

Lazy day

Pre-holiday to-do list:
-funding application = submitted
-conference paper = written
-birthday = celebrated
-important meeting = went very well (much to my surprise)

Now all I have to do is complete those two chapters before I leave for the states (12 days to go!). Not bad.

I stayed up late on Wednesday night to finish the conference paper whilst riding the high from my kick ass meeting which meant I woke up late on Thursday. When I finally did wake up (hello, afternoon) I decided to take the rest of the day off from work. I did simple things like cleaning the flat, correspondence, etc. I also said to hell with worrying about earning HBBC points. Basically I just needed to rest.

Then it came time to make something for dinner. After cooking Thanksgiving dinner last week and living off the leftovers that I couldn’t pawn off on others since then, my kitchen supplies were pretty minimal. I could have very easily walked to the store and picked up a ready meal or frozen pizza, but that didn’t sound appetizing. Instead I decided to cobble together whatever I had into some semblance of a meal.

A carrot, celery stalks, half a zucchini, boullion cubes and some water became recession soup with a side of my childhood favorite of celery stalks with peanut butter. I added in a couple of crispbreads too.

Oh, and then there was dessert.
A little on the brown side, but still tasty.

Yes, the tea is essential.

I had just enough brown sugar to pull off fruit bars. Sweet!

So now my kitchen cupboard looks like this:
Contents: alumin(i)um foil, sandwich & storage bags, crispbread, regular bread, can of tuna, two cans of corn, can of chopped tomatoes, porridge oats, couscous, polenta, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, popcorn, microwave popcorn, miso soup packet, sunflower seeds.

I have one other food cupboard which stores my baking goods and spices which don’t fit on my spice rack.

And my standard-issue midget European fridge looks like this:
Contents: block of parmesan, leftover soup (which I had for lunch today), olive oil spread, tomato paste, cold-hot gel pack (notice my lack of a freezer), spaghetti sauce, skim milk, jar of jalapenos, raspberry jam, lime juice. In the crisper there's half a lemon, brussel sprouts, celery and a carrot. There's a butternut squash on the counter too.

I’m tempted to see how bare I can make the shelves before I start dancing with the devil that is scurvy. I doubt my willpower will last long though since I’m (a) craving a steak and (b) PMSing. But it’d be nice to try.

Okay, folks, that’s it for me. Have a happy weekend!

Later gators.

11 comments:

Jamoosh said...

If steak alleviates the PMS symptoms I say make it a big one!

The Merry said...

Dear Lord, I don't think I'll ever be able to pare my life down to essentials. I am impressed.

You could submit that pic to fridgewatcher.com :)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I had just enough brown sugar to pull off fruit bars.

You use brown sugar as lube when you give hand jobs to food? Does that work? Or do your 'fruit bars' have blisters now?

I'm asking for a friend.

Because I don't give hand jobs.

Except in exchange for food. We are in a recession, after all.

Viper said...

Wow, you've really cleaned the place out. I say keep going. Cheers!

Keith said...

My wife would have convulsions if she saw the fridge and cupboards like that. Wait, how can you live without peanut butter?

SteveQ said...

I store gallon containers full of water in my fridge because it works better when full than empty and there's just not much in there. Plus, cold water's just so darn hard to find in Minnesota in December...

Jamie said...

goodness I didn't think many people could beat how bad my fridge and cupboard look but you win.

SteveQ said...

Sweet baby Jesus, I made your blogroll! Oh frabjous day! Kalloo, kallay!

Deb said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

SteveQ said...

Saw on the BBC that two people died from the cold in Scotland; somehow, that did not make it seem warmer here. Seeing you tell ShutUpAndRun that you wear a 36D, on the other hand, did make it seem warmer.

Laura said...

I'm very late to the party but... how on earth do you get by without ICE CREAM?!

I am lost.