Monday, 13 December 2010

Race report and some winners

A frosty morning

Sunday morning was my second running of the Santa run. I cycled into town, left my stuff at the department and walked to the race start. The race was supposed to set off at 9:30. At 9:25 I was a block away from the start line when I heard the countdown and then all of a sudden the race began. WTF!

I wasn’t the only one caught off guard. There were at least thirty other Santas around me still making their way to the start line. The kicker was the race volunteers wouldn’t allow us to walk straight over to the start line—they made us go all the way around the block. I jogged around and then had to wade through spectactors to get over the start line. The radio dj emceeing the event saw us coming and said ‘You’re late!’ I nearly flipped him the bird whilst bellowing ‘WANKER!’ but reminded myself this was a family event and it wouldn’t do the kids good to see a raging Santa. Fortunately one of the Santas behind me didn’t have this problem and angrily yelled at the dj for starting the race early. Sweet.

I caught up to the back of the pack quickly—mostly because there were a lot of walkers. I weaved around them as much as I could and finally caught up to the slow runners. The race is only two miles long so it went by quickly.
Bottleneck at the park gates.

Most of the runners and spectators were having a good time. However there were a number of parents berating their kids to run instead of walk. I’m not a parent (though I play one on tv....ok, not really), but this seems to be a horrible way to (a) get your kid active and (b) to enjoy this as a fun family event. There were plenty of Santas just walking the event so there was no need to force the kids to run. Also, just like adults, kids need to be prepared to run two miles together. If you don’t bother to help your kid train for this event then you can’t expect them to run the entire distance...especially without complaining and a great deal of pouting.

There endeth my soapbox sermon.

Post-race, I walked back to the department to pick up my stuff and cycle home. I really made some people’s day, especially the Asian tourists who tried to sneakily take my photo and the old ladies on the bus who got a good giggle out of my get-up.

Despite the dj being a premature ejaculator tosser, I really enjoyed the Santa run. The majority of people have a great attitude and contribute to the fun atmosphere of the event. And the funds raised went to support the local children’s hospice. A couple of the hospice kids were even there to hand out the race medals to us. It was pretty moving. I encourage all of you to run a Santa or other costumed run in future—if only for the interesting additions it makes to your closets.
I will never be without a Halloween costume now.

And the wieners winners are...
I counted out all the change and checked it twice—as a good little former bank teller does.

Organized coin chaos. And yes, that's the tennis ball under my desk that I roll my foot on.

Admittedly the process did kinda make me feel like Scrooge McDuck in Mickey’s A Christmas Carol.

Anyhoo, the grand total was......*drumroll*.......

£27.85

That makes Turi the winner with his almost spot on guess of £28. Way to go Turi!

I typed the names of the remaining commenters into Excel...
...and had Random.org spit out the numbers for the other four winners.
Congrats Jamoosh, Glaven, Tyger Lily and GeorgiaSnail! You’ve each won a piece of certifiable European trash. You’re proud, I can tell.

Each of you need to email me (at ukxenia at gmail dot com) with your mailing address and choice of bottle opener. Turi gets first dibs, followed by Jamoosh, etc. which means you’re getting the leftovers, GeorgiaSnail. Sorry, dude.

Well that’s it for me. I need to finish some work, pack and then get the hell out of here on Wednesday. YIPPEE!!!!!!!! I’ll post again at the end of the week when I’m stateside and safely ensconced in the middle of nowhere.

Have a great week, everyone!

Later gators.

12 comments:

Jamoosh said...

"And the funds raised went to support the local children’s hospice."

Where the kids are made to run instead of walk...

Turi said...

I'd love to do one of those Santa events some year - unfortunately, my town's version is a Santa Pub Crawl that always ends with a bunch of vomit-crusted red felt hats in the gutters. I'd rather do a run...

Can't believe I guessed right! I'll have to claim the Benedict Popener, just to keep current with things...

The Merry said...

I don't understand why parents bring kids in strollers to a run where it's freezing cold. At least running around they keep warm. Brrr!

Maybe you should join up with CMS and do the Toronto Santa Speedo Run next time :)

SteveQ said...

Wanker? Tosser? You've been across the pond way too long, girl (though you did give just one finger and not the British two-finger "up yours").

Viper said...

I cannot believe I finally lost a contest where bottle openers were given away. P00p! Safe travels. Cheers!

Tyger Lily said...

Holy crap I can't believe I won something! Thanks and Merry Christmas!

GeorgiaSnail said...

First time I am happy to be receiving GQH's sloppy seconds....

RunnuRMark said...

Well I'm glad someone was willing to be a bad Santa and point out that DJ's foul. What an ass. So why did you purchase a second Santa suit this year?

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Wow, Peachy Escargot, you mean the other 57 times you were faking it? You're good! You could do pr0n professionally!

You were right not to flip the bird and yell WANKER! while dressed as Pere Noel.

Wait till you're all dressed up for Teh Jebus Triathlon to do that.

Jess said...

And how much is that in "real" money? :)

Nitmos said...

This was rigged. How do you live with yourself?

Deb said...

I'm with Nitmos. WTF?