Another week has gone by. I have less than two weeks left in the states which includes my first ever trip to Texas. My to-do list is a mile long and good intentions are plentiful but sloth continues to be the reigning theme of my US holiday. I should berate myself for being so unproductive and inactive but I don’t have the energy for that. It’s tiring enough just walking to the kitchen to stuff my face with holiday treats.
The only exercise I’ve gotten in the past week was an hour’s worth of shovelling after we were hit with a nor’easter a few days ago. The winds were pretty strong that day and I was stupid enough not to take breaks indoors so I ended up with some pretty blotchy skin—so much so that it looked like I had broken out in hives. Hot, I know. Thankfully my skin seems to be rebounding and is almost back to its normal state. I am a leper no more.
Year in Review
When I look back on 2010, it's tempting to label it a complete and utter failure in almost every respect. For example:
- pathetic yearly mileage
- ran fewer races
- no PRs
- got demonstrably slower
- gained weight
- did not complete my dissertation
- completed my second marathon in unexpectedly hot temperatures and unrelenting sunshine
- got lost in Somerset and had a fabulous time in the process
- ran in costume not once but twice
- explored a little more of England (most of which I actually didn’t post about)
- visited Santorini for the first time
- made significant progress on my dissertation
- received official confirmation that my dissertation is interesting to people other than myself
- offered a job for next year pending funding approval (fingers crossed!)
Specific running goals for 2011 are currently percolating in my pea brain but I’ll discuss that more next month.
On that note, I’d like to wish you all a safe and happy new year. See you again in January.