Monday, 31 January 2011

Back to basics


It’s the end of the month—time to see how I did on my January goals.

(1) Run a New Year’s Day race – CHECK.
(2) Lose 5 pounds – FAIL. My scale is a bit dodgy. In the space of a minute, it gave me four different weights. I could have lost two pounds or gained two pounds. I’m taking the average and calling it a draw.
(3) Complete two chapters – CHECK ...on the quantity. Not so much the quality, but that’s what editing is for, right?
(4) do a 13.1 mile walk/run – BIG. FAT. FAIL. Especially considering my total January running mileage was a whopping 14 miles. Sweet baby Jesus, that’s sad.

So I end up with a 50% completion rate on my January goals. Add in that I scored a job this month too and that racks it up to 1050% which means I win a treat of my choosing. And I choose to get a spa facial. It also helps that I can get a facial at a mondo discount in February since it’s the low season or whatever for that type of stuff. Sweet.

I’m bummed that I didn’t run a half marathon distance this month, but I didn’t set out a proper plan to get in the appropriate training to run that distance so it’s not a surprise.

Things will be different for my February goals. I’m going to have to put aside training for the half marathon distance. I’ll be starting my job in April which means I have a month less to complete my dissertation. I’ll be working longer hours until then so getting in long long-runs is just not an option. And with my current shite level of fitness, 13.1 miles would sadly take me almost three hours to complete. Crickey.

My two goals for February are:

(1) Run three times per week
(2) Keep a daily food journal

I need to get back into a healthy routine that will fit into my rather daunting work schedule for the next two months, hence these goals. The point of the food journaling is to remind myself when I’ve eaten my treat for the day and to put down that enticing Cadbury creme egg and back away slowly.

In addition to my own runs, I’m also running the Couch to 5K program with a friend. She’s hit a plateau with her weight loss recently and was getting frustrated. Since I need a reminder of why I love to run, I offered to do the program with her. We did Week 1 Day 1 this morning and she did a great job. I was the time-keeper so I sneakily added in an extra running repetition. I told her afterward and she was really chuffed at how well she did. We’re set to run Day 2 on Wednesday.

So that’s the situation here in Xenia-land. I hope you are all doing well and staying warm. Catch up with you when I can.

Later gators.

6 comments:

The Merry said...

Given the amount of work you have to get through in the next few months, I think you should be awarded a bright shiny gold star if you get any exercise done. C25k sounds brilliant.

SteveQ said...

Two chapters sounds good to me. I remember my friend Ed, approaching the deadline for formatting his thesis, studied the exact wording of the requirements for that step and found that it didn't have to be the actual thesis, just something in the correct format, so he sent in 200 pages of dummy text: "This is what a caption would look like." "Ed, Dr., Fake title of a journal reference, 1984." and so on.

Smart guy, Ed. 17 years of grad school, notwithstanding.

joyRuN said...

I also started tracking what I eat - a completely thankless & unrewarding task.

Enjoy your facial!

Jess said...

Good luck with the Feb goals!

Aileen Ruane said...

Good luck with the dissertation work. The thought of writing chapters makes my head spin. Luckily, I don't have to look forward to that for a couple more years.

Sheesh.

Food journals are good ideas. It really does help when you are forced to write down everything you eat.

RunnuRMark said...

Does your success rate drop to -950% if your new job ends up sucking ginormous balls?