Tuesday, 11 January 2011

My monthlies

Back from Texas and now I’m off to England—as long as the inclement weather forecasted for late this evening does not appear earlier than anticipated to mess with my flight. I had a great time in the Lone Star state and hope to return again someday...but only when my digestive system has fully recovered. I love Tex Mex food but it appears my colon does not. I was not the only conference goer to come to this realization. Bit of a shitty situation, but most of us survived to poop another day.

Busted booty
The Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge ended on Friday. My personal goal was to achieve a total of 200 points. I only got 129. I missed my goal, but at least I did better this time than in the first challenge when I think I peaked at about 30 total points. Big improvement, no? Eh, I’ll take it.

Viva la non-resolution
I hate resolutions. I think they’re a sure-fire way to guarantee failure. You’re all gung-ho about them for the first few weeks or possibly even months of the year but then everything goes tits up so by the time December rolls around you feel like a failure and gorge on holiday treats to numb the pain. Think I’m being cynical? Well, take a look at all those tv morning programs. They’re full to bursting with segments about “New Year, New You” in January, but you won’t hear another word about it until December when the anchors are all laughing at their own failed resolutions.

I may hate resolutions, but I’m all about goals, particularly SMART goals. This year I’ll be working towards specific and reasonable monthly goals. I figure it’s much easier to stay focused on a goal for 30 days rather than 365, so I’ll have a better chance at success. It’ll also prevent me from getting too bogged down in details with thinking too far ahead which I have a tendency to do.

For January, I have four goals:
  • run a New Year’s Day race
  • complete two chapters
  • lose 5 pounds
  • do a 13.1 mile run/walk
As you may know, I’ve already completed the first goal. Go me! I’m now in the final stages of my dissertation (no, really!), so I need to make sure I make consistent progress. This month I need to complete two in-progress chapter drafts to stay on track.

In 2011, I want to get my fitness back. I need to focus on controlled weight loss to get rid of the 2010 gain and also get back to regular and longer running. My longest run since May has only been 4 miles. This has to change. Long runs need to be incorporated back into my running routine which is why, barring anything unexpected (*knock on wood*), I hope to do a half marathon run each month. Striving for that distance requires that I maintain decent weekly mileage and getting in one or two long runs of 8-10 miles each month to prevent injury. Ideally I’d sign up for a half marathon race each month, but I don’t have the funds for that.

So far this month I’ve only run twice—the New Year’s Day race and a 2.5 mile treadmill run at my Texas hotel. I’m gonna need to be careful not to court injury with increasing my mileage too quickly which is why my goal is to run/walk 13.1 miles this month. It’ll take me forever and a day to complete it, but it’ll be worth it.

Metamorphosis
As you may have noticed (if you’re not viewing this from a reader), I’ve changed my blog including the name and my profile image. I know some of you thought I should leave well enough alone, but I couldn’t. As a woman, I of course retain the right to change my mind at any moment so god knows what further changes I’ll implement. Let me know what you think of what I’ve done so far. I may even give a shit about what you say. It’s a long shot, but you never know.

All right, folks, I’ve got a plane to catch. Hope you’re all doing well. I’ll catch up with you again when I’m back across the pond.

Later gators.

9 comments:

Jamoosh said...

English cuisine has ruined your colon!

MCM Mama said...

Like the new blog look! Good luck getting back on track in 2011!

Sun Runner said...

I like that you used what appears to be an "x" from the band the xx's logo.

Whom I have seen live.

And it was incredible.

Good luck with the five pounds...I'm still grappling with my own five pounds to lose. Well, five pounds and about 20 more on top of that, but I don't want to think about those yet.

Jess said...

I noticed the new look -- looks good!

Good luck with January goals! It's smart to set just a few goals per month instead of aiming for a bazillion to accomplish in the year. Huh, a doctoral student who's smart, whudda thunk it?

Pam said...

As for the new blog look? I'm diggin' it. Haha... see what I did there? ... with the diggin' and the ... oh nevermind.

I like it!

Lily on the Road said...

LOL, thanks for letting me know you changed your blog name etc...I am tunnel visioned and didn't even notice (hey, at least I'm truthful, & BTW, what / who are you hiding from?).

Good for you to take control of the fitness thingy, maybe you should coach me in that department for 2011~~

Viper said...

Change is good. Good luck on your monthly goals, though I thought "monthlies" was going to refer to something else. Safe travels. Cheers!

Merry said...

Oh, thank you for writing this!
I've been reading blogs, over and over, wherein the writer proclaims something along these lines: "I don't believe in resolutions. I have goals... which I set and then ignore and feel guilty about, but anyway the point is that they're goals, not resolutions."

[Um... and the difference between the two words is what? 'cause looks like the same thing done up in 2011 colors to me.]

So thank you for reminding me of the SMART thing. Maybe it'll catch on.

Nitmos said...

Metamorphosis?! Not to go all booky on you but did you ever read this Kafka short? Weird doesn't even begin to describe it.