Sunday, 3 April 2011

Away away

This has nothing to do with the post, but I really thought I should include a photo with all this text. Today is Mother's Day in the UK and this is what I made for my mother.

No, I’m not done yet. The supervisor is reading the full rough draft so she can tell me all the thousands of lovely corrections I need to make when I get back.

Get back, you ask? Yeah, about that...

Officially my job started on Friday April 1st. Does that mean my job is a joke? To most people in the world—probably. Anyway, it actually begins tomorrow because I’m flying to Italy for five weeks of fieldwork and conferencing with a side of additional dissertation research because obviously I can never do enough of that. I’ll be missing out on all the fanfare of the royal wedding, but I now have paid employment and a reason to get out of Nerdtown for an extended period of time so I won’t complain.

While I’m in Carbo-Load Land, I’ll also be running. I’ve been running three days per week here with Red doing the Couch to 5K program. We’ve reached Week 7 so she’s running 25 consecutive minutes now and doing great. She’ll continue with C25K while I’m away and, as an act of solidarity, I’m planning on running three days per week in Italy.

Besides my regular walking and cycling, the C25K runs have been the only exercise I’ve gotten in the last two months. I finally killed my gym membership after bleeding money for months. Add in my abysmal stress-induced eating habits and you’ve got one extra slow fat cranky runner. I haven’t weighed myself since January, but I know I’ve done considerable damage since then. I’m weighing myself Monday morning before I leave for the airport so I know how much of an affect fieldwork (aka Fat Camp) has on me.

Other than my general poor health and attitude, I have another good reason for getting back into running shape again – I entered the ballot for the Royal Parks Foundation half marathon and actually scored a bib. I’ll be running that bad-boy in October, so in theory there’s plenty of time for me to shed some poundage and get some decent mileage going. The first quarter of the year may have sucked big hairy monkey balls for running and dissertating, but I have a feeling there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. Granted that light may in fact be an oncoming train, but I’ll take what I can get right now.

I hope to post while I’m away, but I make no promises. Pretty much my standard MO these days, no?

Anyway, hope you’re all doing well. Catch you later.

2 comments:

The Merry said...

Yes! At least it's done -- for now. Maybe we should get you one of these mugs for the Review.
http://www.zazzle.com/my_writing_is_fine_snake_mug-168725935351239430

Have fun with all the Roman erections!

Sun Runner said...

TARDIS for the win!

Buon viaggio! Enjoy Italy.