Thursday, 7 July 2011

Reboot

There’s 13.5 weeks until the Royal Parks half marathon. Thought I should finally start running again. So that’s what I did this morning. After six weeks of jack-all, I woke up at 6:30 and ran three miles in the rain. It was my first run in Port Nerd.

By the end of it my clothes were drenched and my sluggish movements could only barely pass for running, but I was happy for finally hitting the pavement again. I ran to the big wooded park and back. When I move in September, I’ll be living a lot closer to that park, so I’ll get to spend more time enjoying the quiet paths there than dodging vehicles on the busy city streets. I’m looking forward to it.

Unlike Nerdtown, Port Nerd is rather hilly. If I lived further north in the city, I’d have to deal with San Francisco-like terrain, but where I live it’s a lot less severe—thank god. Bad enough I’m out of shape, but throw in the hills and I feel especially winded and weak.

By the way, the high for today is supposed to be about 60 F (15 C). On Monday we’re apparently going to inch into the low 70s but then come back down to the 60s thereafter. Typical English summer.

5 comments:

Razz said...

forward motion is still forward motion.

Carolina John said...

The best thing about getting out of shape is that you know where to go to get back in shape. That's what I'm telling myself now as I'm trying to outrun these last 10 lbs.

The Merry said...

Excellent!

RunnuRMark said...

Glad to see you're back out there. Don't worry about your current state of fitness...you'll work your way back.

PS - very jealous of your weather right now.

Lily on the Road said...

Wow, full of good news, new town, back running, shitty weather...ahhhh, life on the isles.

let me know how it's going...