Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Safety first

I have yet to make a definitive decision on my quandary. Option #3 is still quite tempting. However, I did run three miles yesterday and my weigh-in this morning revealed I've lost another three pounds (woo!).

Lately I've been concerned with safety. On Saturday there was an accident at the end of my block. I couldn't see exactly what had happened but the screams of an injured woman and the mass exodus of my neighbors out of their homes led me to believe that it wasn't good. I fully realized then that if I was hurt or incapacitated in any way, no one close to me would know about it. I immediately got on the horn to a friend who agreed to be my local emergency contact should anything bad happen and I passed on the appropriate contact info to my family and vice versa.

I also decided it was past due for me to carry some sort of ID with me when I run. None of my running clothes have pockets, so I never carry a phone or ID on me--the only exception being when I was training for my second marathon and I had a fuel belt. I looked into a Road ID, but the cost and the fact that my address and contact info change quite frequently were pretty big cons. Instead, I chose to make my own.

Say hello to the prototype Xenia shoe ID tag.

A few weeks ago I invested in a sewing machine. I used to be quite crafty in the states, but shelved all that when I moved to England and lived like a nomad. Well, no longer. The economy is shit and I'm on a budget. It's time to Make, Do and Mend. And Make and Do, I did.

On Sunday I went to the local fabric shop and rummaged around in the remainder bin and came up with a huge piece of vinyl and almost a meter of an off-white fabric that felt like a picnic tablecloth. I figured it might be somewhat water-resistant so went with it. In total, I spent £2.20 ($3.60) and I have enough material to make at least a hundred of these bands. Score one for frugality!

I wore it on Tuesday's run and it was great--didn't mess with my laces and it weighs virtually nothing. Besides neater stitching and more accurate cutting, I need to find a way to protect the open end of the vinyl from the elements. But for right now, everything's peachy. And like at Cheers, everyone will know my name.

10 comments:

The Merry said...

Just be careful which city you go running in, 'k?

Viper said...

Kudos to the cheapskatery. I should wear my Road ID more. First, I should find it. Cheers!

Aka Alice said...

Very crafty! I like it better than the road ID

Mark said...

I assume your plan is to start a small shoe ID company that will become the cornerstone in a massive financial empire. Right? Well, I'm just glad to see you're running again, at least.

MCM Mama said...

Way to be creative! Congrats on the weight loss and getting back out there running.

Keith said...

Those are pretty cool. If you want to leave it open so you can easily update the info, maybe a bit of candle wax will seal it temporarily. Can't really see from the photo how the business end works.

K said...

That is awesome. I love crafty-ish, cheapskate home made stuff. Kudos to you.

BrianFlash said...

The great thing about this is you can make 100 more, sell them for a pound a piece, and make a mint!

Carolina John said...

Awesome! Excellent creation. I need a road id so bad.

Lily on the Road said...

ROAD I.D., it costs nothing (I think) to change your address location. Put your friend's name and no. on it and a family member. Once it is engraved then your contacts are very visible.

I wear mine any time I am out and have convinced the fellow I work for to get one too.

Cheapery aside, Road I.D. does work the BEST!