Wednesday, 4 January 2012

The 2012 Plan


Screw the preamble. Let’s get right to it.

The 2012 plan involves two primary goals which, not surprisingly, have some overlap.

The first goal is to get organized. I don’t have a decent system for getting anything done in a reasonable amount of time in any aspect of my life. I need clear focused goals. So I’m going with the 3 tasks a day approach (semi-stolen from joyRuN but I’ve also read The Power of Less before). Every day I’ll have a list of three key items I need to accomplish before I can do anything else, i.e. blog, watch a movie, craft, go to the pub, etc. For the month of January, the three must-do tasks for each day will entail the following:
  • the day’s workout
  • a definable portion of work on the Thing That Must Not Be Named (hereafter TTMNBN)
  • crucial work task for my job
This way I will (1) get in shape, (2) finish that blasted piece of horseshit (the TTMNBN) which I now hate with the power of a thousand suns and (3) keep my boss happy.

As part of this goal, I need to do an evaluation at the end of each month to make sure the 3-things system is being effective. If not, then I need to alter it or try a new system all together.

My second goal is to get back into half-marathon shape. Working back up to the half marathon distance will be good for my overall fitness as well as help me shed the extra weight without courting the bottomless-pit hunger cravings so often encountered with marathon training. Also, I’m just not feeling the marathon anymore. Maybe I’ll try one again someday, but definitely not this year.

For January, the goal is to run 2-3 times per week. I’ll start with runs of two miles first and then slowly increase the distance once I don’t feel like total ass at the end of a run. On non-running days, I need to either walk or cycle for a minimum of 30 minutes. At the end of the month, I’ll review my progress and set a new and ideally more intense workout plan for February and thereafter to get me up to half marathon fitness.

This sounds good to me. But pretty much anything sounds good to me after the crap year I had. What do you all think? Anyone wanna place a bet on how I’m going to do this year? I’ll take any motivation I can get right now.

I’m off to England tomorrow, so happy early weekend to you all. I’ll catch you on the flip side.

Later gators.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

That sounds like a great plan! Best of luck to you. If my plan for the year does not work like I want it to, I may see how you are doing and change course. :D I would definitely bet that you will do great!

joyRuN said...

3 things a day - how hard can it be, right? We'll get it done.

(No I haven't gotten my 3 things yet today yet here I am on the timesuckblogosphere but I swear this is the last one.)

I'm totally not feeling the marathon either - this spring might be my last one for a while.

Carolina John said...

Great goals! Breaking it down into three small things each day is a really organized way to accomplish the bigger picture. Good luck and safe travels!

Viper said...

Go kill it. Cheers!

Lily on the Road said...

Hope you've made it "home to sunny *cough* England safely". Three things huh...why not start with blogging regularly so we can cheer each other on?

Deb said...

Keep calm and carry on. 2012 is your year, I'm sure of it!!!!

...unless those freakin' Mayans were right.

joyRuN said...

Tag you're it. Come play :)