Tuesday, 10 April 2012

No photo

Typical American tourist tip #13

Howdy. I haven't posted in a while because I've been travelling and working and I couldn't (and still can't) figure out how to transfer photos from my camera onto my (work) laptop. So no-go on the pics, but I thought I'd pop in and give an update.

Germany was interesting. Unfortunately I stayed in the not-nice part of Frankfurt and was greeted outside my hotel by a dude shooting heroine into his arm. No, I'm not joking. I ventured out that evening to find dinner and saw another dude heating up a spoon of more drugs and then turned the corner onto a street full of sketchy bars, gambling establishments and a whole lotta strip clubs. To say I stood out like a sore thumb is an understatement.

I did find the cojones to run the morning of my last day there, fortified by the authentic schnitzel (not a euphemism) I consumed the night before. The neighborhood was a little less intimidating in sunlight, though I still went at a good clip until I made it to the river which was lovely. Afterward I went for a walk around the old town and the river again until it was time to head to the airport to catch my flight. If I ever get those photos off my camera, I'll post a few here.

I've slacked on the running a bit while here in Italy. I ran a three-miler last Wednesday morning and again yesterday afternoon. I'm getting in lots of cross training though with pick-axing, shovelling and wheelbarrowing. My hamstrings were sore as hell all of last week but are much better now. I think the long walk on the Via Appia on Easter Sunday helped out quite a bit. The plan is to get in at least two more runs this week and (obviously) continue with the cross training.

Hope you are all well and had an enjoyable long holiday weekend. I will update again when I have time and am not in danger of falling asleep whilst typing.

Later gators.

3 comments:

Carolina John said...

I think if there was ever a valid localized excuse for skipping a run, dodging druggies would qualify. Can't believe you actually went out there!

I've heard there are some cool parts of Germany too. That sounds really scary.

Viper said...

I just email myself photos from my phone. Congrats on running despite the drug abusers. And Easter? That's not until this Sunday. Cheers!

The Blonde said...

I think it would be fun to visit Germany for Oktoberfest. A drunken good time.