Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Frequent flyer

After more than a month of doing sod all, I finally ran again. What got me back to it? A surprise weekend trip to Nebraska. An exotic locale, I know.

My sister's bridal shower was on Saturday. Since I've missed every other major milestone so far in her wedding preparations, I didn't want to miss this one. Also, I'd have the opportunity to see our mom, dad and a lot of our mother's side of the family whom I haven't seen in a few years.

So I jetted off Friday and arrived that evening. Z's bff picked me up at the airport and I shocked Z that night when she came over for dinner. I've never pulled a stunt like this before so I was pretty stoked that it went off without a hitch.

I ran Saturday morning before the bridal shower and again on Monday morning before heading out on my return flight that evening. Each run was only a measly two miles, but it felt great to get back out there even with the hot temps (about 20-30 degrees F higher than in the UK) and the unexpected hills. I think the fact that we finally found my bridesmaid's dress on Saturday is motivation enough for me to get back on the fitness bandwagon. The tailor can take in my dress before the wedding, but he/she definitely can't make it any bigger.

So after 20 hours of flying and untold number of hours in buses and cars, I'm back in jolly old England where the weather is FINALLY starting to feel like summer. Fingers crossed it stays like this for the next few weeks before I return to the states again for three weeks of pre-wedding madness and the main event. 

Crikey.

Later gators.

4 comments:

Viper said...

Nebraska, my mother's childhood home, though I've never been there. Glad you enjoyed its exotic offerings. Good job getting back out there. Cheers!

Keith said...

England? Summer?? With delusions like that no wonder you're having trouble with a certain unnamed writing project.

Carolina John said...

Nobody expects warm temps and hills when you're in england in the summer. are there really hills in nebraska?

Mark said...

I hope you got to fondle some fresh corn while you were there. I love it when people are shocked to find hills in the midwest. Yep, we gots 'em!