Monday, 4 June 2012

Gnome sweet gnome

I'm currently on Day Three of a four day weekend (God bless the English monarchy!) and I'm enjoying myself to the full. I've taken walks, visited an historical site, ate ice cream, attended a dinner party, read Game of Thrones, watched Game of Thrones and crafted to my heart's content. What I haven't done yet is run. My cold has calmed down considerably, but my cough is still deep so I'm taking it easy on the exercise front still. I may chance a run tomorrow though. I'm getting tired of waiting.

My real purpose in posting today is so I can enter a contest, so if you're not interest in crafts you can see yourself out now.

Aimee Ray of Little Dear is holding a gnome contest. As luck would have it, I have had two gnome-related craft projects in the works for a while now, so I'm using them as my entries in her contest. My first entry is a passport cover with a felt gnome applique I made as part of my sister's travel-themed bridal shower gift. Unfortunately, I didn't remember to take a photo of it before I gave it to her so she emailed me a not so great iphone photo of it after. Here it is:

My second entry is a a piece that has been half finished for months and I only just completed it today. It's a piece of hoop art for my flat.

I picked up the toadstool fabric in a pack of fat quarters at the fabric store earlier this year. I thought the fabric would look great on my wall and what's more appropriate to pair with toadstools than a gnome. And so here's mine. I kept to the basic triangular shape of the passport cover gnome, but I had to add more detail considering how much bigger he is (the embroidery hoop is 12"). So I have him holding his arms behind his back and added a belt and some shoes. It took me forever to decide what his eyes should look like and I finally settled on open eyes with thick white eyebrows. I think it's cute and way too childish for a non-child home but once again I couldn't care less. It makes me happy.

That's it for me. I'm going back to enjoying my long weekend.

Later gators.

Skip To My Lou

3 comments:

Mike said...

I'm also reading Game of Thrones, mainly because I'm too cheap for HBO or DVDs I'll only watch once.

Hodor!

Viper said...

It's good to be the Queen's subjects. Nice score on the days off. Good luck with the Gnomes. Cheers!

Redhead Running said...

I lurve your Gnome hoop! Good luck!