Monday, 25 June 2012

No pain, no gain


Last time I posted, I mentioned I was going to do a strength training session on Wednesday with my sister and her personal trainer who is also her neighbor and friend. The session lasted an hour and was a mix of weights and calisthenics.

When getting back into exercise of any type, soreness is to be expected either the following day or the day after that. I got sore DURING the session. The next day, I could barely move and I whimpered every time I encountered stairs. The following day was much the same. I was still sore on Saturday but not as much as before, so I agreed to do another spin class with my sister. I think that helped expel much of the residual soreness from my body, though my butt was still feeling it yesterday (that's what she said).

I think an hour was probably too much ('DUH!' - said everyone), although the trainer said I did quite well. My sister chatted with her the entire session while I remained fairly silent and just focused on getting in the proper number of reps for each exercise. I guess that may have made me appear dedicated but really I was just wanted to end the anguish as soon as possible. If I'm stupid enough to torture myself again, I may only do half a session.

All right, I've got to get back to being my sister's personal assistant. We've got packages to open, another shopping trip to Michael's and I'm hoping to at least get the pew decorations completed today. I can hope, right? And while we do all of this, we'll continue quoting My Big Fat Greek Wedding, because that is exactly what this wedding will be. I'm tempted to put a tag on all the bubble bottles (we're having bubbles in lieu of rice) that say "Put some Windex on it."

OPA!

3 comments:

Viper said...

I've begun incorporating strength training each week, completing our local par course along with my run. I've been sore the past two weeks. Good luck with all the plannings. Cheers!

Keith said...

Strength training and the boot camp mentality are much over rated. So are weddings as done now. My thought is that people should get a license to have kids. The couple would have to pass a test. Then, AFTER the kids have grown up and demonstrated basic competence at life in general, a couple is allowed to get married. It truly would be a celebration of a life together that accomplished something. By then they'd be able to pay for it themselves, and what better way to spend money than to throw a party for yourself and your life long friends?

Razz said...

What is this "strength training" you speak of? Sounds like work.