Monday, 16 July 2012

A Run-By

I finally returned to England on Tuesday last week. And I'm still suffering from jetlag. Blegh.

My sister's wedding went really well last weekend. The four weeks running up to it, not so much, but the wedding itself was amazing. I'm very happy for my sister and my new brother-in-law. I managed to not trip on my dress, only slightly cocked-up the ring exchange (I was their koumbara during the ceremony) and my speech at the reception went over really well. My hands are still sore from having to put together 300 bombonieres (which looked like this) and 300 wedding favors (which looked liked this) but thankfully the Xenia Sweatshop had about a half dozen helpers along the way. For your service, fellow minions, I salute you.

I haven't worked out at all in the last two weeks. Right now I'm trying to catch up with work and get back on a normal sleep schedule. I'm also readjusting to English weather. While you all roast in your 90-100 F temps, I've gone back to 50-60 F with LOTS and LOTS of RAIN. I don't miss the American heatwave, but I do miss the sunshine.

After only two hours of sleep (thanks a lot, jetlag), I woke up at 5:30 am yesterday so I could view a (for me) once in a lifetime event--the Olympic torch relay which was running through Port Nerd and, conveniently, right by the end of my street. Lots more people were out then I thought there would be. The English are nothing if not proud. Here are some pics.

 Waiting...

Relay runners transport bus. A dude on there was wearing a Queen Elizabeth mask. My photo of it didn't come out though.

The torch!

 Notice the relay security peeps in gray.

The people standing next to me knew the relay runner. Apparently his name is Roger. Congrats, Roger!

Onward to the Port Nerd airport and then to the Channel Islands.

The Olympics begin in less than two weeks. If time and work allow, I may try to make it up to London for one or both of the marathon days. We'll see.

Hope you're all doing well and, if you're in North America, staying cool.

Later gators.

3 comments:

Keith said...

Well, back in Blighty again. Hope you brought a life jacket. I hear there's lots of rain. Glad to hear the wedding went well, no doubt thanks to your mad organizational skillz.

Sun Runner said...

I just spend 9 days in Scotland. I think I was the only one there who loved the weather. I'll take overcast and drizzly over 95-100 any day. I'm back home now and it's going to be over 100* today. I miss cool, moist Scotland...

Viper said...

Congrats on a successful wedding assist. Cheers to the family. Was that local or Greek honey? Opa!