Friday, 22 March 2013

What's in a name


I ran another 1.5 miles yesterday morning in the dismal English drizzle. All was fine though I'm dealing with a slightly achy knee on the non-surgery leg. I've been icing it on and off and that seems to be helping. I don't really think the achiness is running related. More like I've been sitting awkwardly again and ticked it off. I'll try to sit more like an adult in future.

So in life stuff, my work contract ends at the end of May. I'm waiting to hear back about a fellowship application and possible teaching opportunities for the next academic year, but otherwise I'm gonna be on the dole as of Memorial Day. As such, I've been considering opening an Etsy shop. I've been encouraged by friends and family to open a shop to sell my creations of and patterns for felt dolls, brooches, ornaments and the like. Most of the stuff I make has a historical, literary or mythological theme, but I also make stuff related to the UK and travel in general.

Anyway, to make a long story short (TOO LATE!), I need help in devising a shop name. I was thinking of going with the name Squirrel Bait (completely unrelated to what I make, but it was one of my nicknames when I was younger....thanks, ma), but that's been taken. A friend suggested the name should be a pun. For example, there's a bookstore in my native New Hampshire that has a cafe called Aesop's Tables. I love that. Again, anything related to history, mythology, classic literature (if I see 50 Shades of anything, we can no longer be friends) or travel that is amusing but not vulgar would be greatly appreciated. You're all pretty clever (though slightly twisted), so I'm sure one of you (that would be you, Mike) will come up with the perfect name.

Hope you all have a great weekend. And for you Game of Thrones fans, here are two teaser trailers for the new season which starts on March 31.




I can't wait to see how they deal with all the crazy stuff that happens in Book 3.

Later gators.

5 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I am horrible at coming up with witty names, but your post has inspired me to finally pick up Book 3 of GoT. I finished Book 2 and was a little tired of it, but apparently Crazy Things happen!

Carolina John said...

Gaaaa I can't wait for Game of Thrones to come back!! yay!

Keith said...

I got part way through book one and got distracted.
I got part way through season one and got distracted.
I really must focus and find the time. Really.
Lots of jobs here in Calgary.

Deb said...

"Amusing but not vulgar"? Really? NOT VULGAR???? Count me out.

Theresa said...

Hey, you're back! You need to come over to the B&G to ask for naming help. That group is awesome for it.

Oh rats, I just remembered I have a postcard I'm supposed to send you....