Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Spring training

If you don't get this joke, you're too young. Move along, whippersnappers.

April wasn't too shabby for running. Well, for me, that is. I ran nine times for a total of 23 miles, which is nearly half my total mileage for the whole of 2012. (Can you tell how much 2012 sucked for me?) I stubbled a bit at the end of the month (weekly mileages were 8, 8, 5, and 2), but with my job coming to an end soon, running cannot be a top priority at the moment.

I've scrapped doing a 10k training program for now. Three-milers take a good deal of effort from me at the moment and my pace and tomato-red post-run face show it. My goal right now is not to train for a race, but to get my fitness back. And I want to do it without courting injury. I've felt twinges here and there in my knee, shins and the soles of my feet throughout the month. Most of it is likely the result of knocking off the rust, but I don't want to push too far too soon and cock it all up. I want to build the habit of running again, make it strong, get fitter and then maybe I'll concern myself with pace and distance goals.

May will see lots of work travel for me. Getting in some running may be difficult, especially for the first trip where I'm trying to only bring a carry-on bag. We'll see how it goes. For now, the English weather is actually quite pleasant (...and now I've probably jinxed it) so I want to take advantage of it as much as possible by getting in short runs whenever I can.

That's it for me. Hope you all are doing well and that spring is actually springing wherever you live.

Later gators.

5 comments:

SteveQ said...

Great. Now I have THAT song stuck in my head (it pushed out Thrift Shop)

Carolina John said...

ah, work travel. Fun stuff, but it screws up so much other stuff. Be safe and have fun! You'll get those 10 milers in sometime. (kidding - i know you said 10k)

Viper said...

Well done. You almost doubled my mileage for the same period. Cheers!

Jamoosh said...

Dang, I don't get it. Or is it the fact that most people think it's "I miss the rains down in Africa" instead of what it actually is, "I bless the rains down in Africa."?

Xenia said...

I now feel like my whole life has been a lie. Thank you for educating me, Jamoosh.