Frightening, isn’t it?
Okay, so here’s the rundown of my last two-ish months. And to make it marginally less onerous for you all, I’m doing it bullet point style. (Hi, Razz!)
- Number of weeks spent in the field: 6.5
- Number of different nationalities amongst the excavation crew: 14
- Number of languages I learned to swear in: 5
- Number of times I swam in the Tyrrhenian Sea: 1
- Number of times I visited Rome: 4
- Number of Popeners I came back with: 9
- Number of said Popeners I will be giving to Diggin’ It readers in one fashion or another: TBA
- Number of days it took me to catch the Mega Cold from one of the many dirty, germ-ridden people on site: 4
- Number of WEEKS I spent with the worst head cold ever: 2.5
- Number of times people shrieked ‘SWINE FLU!’ at me when I coughed or sneezed: total exceeds calculation
- Number of days I had off from work because of said cold: 0
- Number of times I was reminded never to taunt karma ever again: total exceeds calculation
- Number of sunburns acquired: 1
- Number of kickin’ farmers’ tans acquired: 1
- Number of mosquito bites acquired: total exceeds calculation
- Number of times I cursed Mother Nature for creating those stupid useless pests in the first place: total exceeds calculation
- Depth of the hole I dug: 2.5 meters
- Number of times the hole needed to be enlarged and/or stepped in order to comply with Italian safety regulations: 4
- Depth of building rubble that needed to be pick-axed through to get to something representing occupation debris: 1 meter
- Number of late antique burials uncovered on the site that impeded work towards original research objectives: 14
- Amount of cool shit uncovered on site: total exceeds calculation
- Number of ancient shitters uncovered on site: 1
- Number of times I ran: 2
- Number of times I wanted to run but was unable to because of Mega Cold, exhaustion and/or late working schedule: total exceeds calculation
- Number of times I became concerned about potentially beginning marathon training next month with sod all for a base: total exceeds calculation
- Number of pounds I lost anyway: 5
- Number of times I thought about you all: a fair few
Basically I had a fantastic time minus the no-running bit—met some great people, dug some super archaeology and learned more than I could ever have imagined. Now I’m back and ready to get things back on track with my running.
I have to be completely honest with you though. I took a look at my Google Reader today and the number of unread posts was astonishing so I pressed Mark All As Read to save myself the trouble. So if anything life changing happened to you in the last two months let me know about it in the comments because there’s no way in hell I’m trudging into all of your archives now. Nuh-uh! I need to hang on to the little sanity I have remaining. Forgive me.
All right, folks, that’s it for me. I hope all of you are doing well. I’ll try to catch up with you all soon.